Marc Smith, Financial Advisor
This seems to me to be a question with personal and financial components. Some of things I would consider are:
1. How confident are you that is the location where you want to retire?
2. What is the real estate market like in the area - is buying today potentially a good investment? Is there ample liquidity in the market if you change your mind and want to sell?
3. How close is it to where you live? Would you use the house, or your kids use the house, in the years before reaching retirement?
4. Is there a possibly to generate income from the house from vacation rentals?
5. What else could you do with the money? You didn't mention how many years from retirement you are, but if more than 10 years, you could potentially make a lot of money investing it now and buying down the road.
I don't believe there is a 'right' answer to your question. There are many issues to think through and I hope I've given you a few of those to consider.
Did we answer your question?