The best credit card overall is the Chase Freedom Unlimited®. This card has a $0 annual fee, a low introductory APR, and excellent rewards. Overall, Chase Freedom Unlimited has a rating of 5/5 from WalletHub editors.
Here’s What The Chase Freedom Unlimited Card Offers
- $0 annual fee
- 0% for 15 months on purchases (19.49% - 28.24% (V) regular APR)
- 5% cash back on travel through Chase, 3% back at restaurants and drugstores, and 1.5% back on all other purchases (plus an additional 1.5% cash back on everything, up to $20,000 spent the first year)
- Chase Freedom Unlimited editor’s rating of 5/5... read full answer
There are plenty of other contenders for the title of best credit card overall, however. Credit cards are not one-size-fits-all, either. Which card is best really depends on your credit standing, current debt situation, and whether or not you’re going to pay your monthly bills in full.
Fortunately, there are some rules of thumb you can follow to find the best overall credit card for your needs.
Tips for Getting the Best Credit Card for Your Needs
- The lower your credit score is, the more important it is to get a credit card with no annual fee.
- If you have existing credit card debt or are planning a big-ticket purchase that will take months to pay off, try to find a card with a 0% intro APR and no balance-transfer fee, if applicable. Avoiding annual fees is important in this situation, too.
- If you have good or excellent credit and plan to pay in full every month, your goal should be to find the best possible rewards for your spending habits.
No matter your specific situation, there are a few easy ways to find the right credit card. For starters, you can check out our editors’ picks for the market’s best overall credit cards right now, selected from more than 1,500 credit card offers.
You can also sign up for a free WalletHub account and get a personalized recommendation. Or, you can try our free CardAdvisor tool to get anonymous recommendations based on your answers to a few simple questions.show less