Michael Battle, WalletHub Credit Card Analyst
The American Express credit score requirement is of at least 700, depending on the card. That means people with good to excellent credit are eligible to get approved for an American Express credit card.
If your credit score is below the threshold needed for a credit card from American Express, it’s best to apply only after you meet the credit score requirement. You can check your credit score for free, right here on WalletHub.
American Express Credit Score Requirements by Card
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 700+ (Good credit)
- Centurion® Card from American Express: 750+ (Excellent credit)
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express: 700+ (Good credit)
- American Express Cash Magnet® Card: 700+ (Good credit)*
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express: 700+ (Good credit)
- American Express® Gold Card: 700+ (Good credit)
- Hilton Honors American Express Card: 700+ (Good credit)
- Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card: 700+ (Good credit)
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card: 700+ (Good credit)
You should note that while your credit score is an important factor, there are plenty of other things that will impact your chances of being approved for an American Express credit card, too. Some other key criteria include your income, existing debt load, number of open accounts, recent credit inquiries, employment status, and housing status.
*All information about the American Express Cash Magnet® Card has been collected independently by WalletHub. The American Express Cash Magnet® Card is no longer available to new applicants through WalletHub, but may be available on the American Express website.
2023's Best American Express Credit CardsCompare Cards
People also ask
Did we answer your question?