Robert Sambrick, WalletHub Analyst
To file American Express claims, log in to the online Amex claims center and click "File a Claim." Next, select your American Express card, find the benefit you want to file a claim for in the "Find Your Benefits" menu, and click "Continue" to start filling out a claim form.
You can also start the process to file American Express claims over the phone. You’ll need to look at your card’s benefits guide to find the number, since it will differ based on the benefit. After you call, Amex will mail you a claim form, which you’ll have to return with any supplemental information.
Here's how to file American Express claims for benefits online:
- Log in to the online Amex claims center.
- Click "File a Claim."
- Select your American Express card.
- Enter your date of purchase at the bottom of the page if needed. This is required for purchase protection, return protection, and extended warranty claims. For baggage insurance plan claims, simply enter the date of the trip. If you have more than one item to claim, just enter the first one and you'll have the opportunity to add more at a later stage.
- Choose the benefit you want to file a claim for from the "Find Your Benefits" menu.
- Click "Continue" and fill out the claims form while providing the required documentation.
Depending on the benefit, different information will be required for different American Express claims. For example, purchase protection will ask for the type of item that was damaged or stolen and the date the incident happened, whereas rental car insurance will ask for a description of the incident and the time period of the rental. For each type of claim, you’ll also need to add certain requested supplemental information, such as receipts, police reports, damage estimates and more.
Depending on the benefit, you’ll have different amounts of time to file American Express claims. For example, trip delay insurance requires you to notify Amex of your intention to file a claim within 60 days of the incident and provide all requested information within 180 days. For return protection, you’ll need to provide a notification within 90 days and then submit supplemental information within 30 days after that. Be sure to read your card’s benefits guide for the full details.
Benefits disclosure: Eligibility and benefit level varies by card. Terms, conditions and limitations apply. Please visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for more details. Trip Delay Insurance - underwritten by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company. All other insurance benefits mentioned here - underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company. Car Rental Loss or Damage is offered through American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc.
2023's Best American Express Credit CardsCompare Cards
People also ask
Did we answer your question?