You can check your American Express credit card application status online or by phone (1-800-567-1083). Both methods only take about a minute to do, so use whichever is more convenient for you. You’ll need to provide the same basic personal information in both cases. Let’s go through the steps.
Here’s how to check your American Express credit card application online:
- Go to the American Express application status check website.
- Enter your full Social Security number (SSN).
- Enter your home zip code (the one you used on the application).
- Click the “check application” button at the bottom of the page.
The system will then take you to a page listing the status of any American Express applications you’ve sent in. It will say “approved,” “denied,” “in progress” or “cancelled.” There’s also a helpful “next step” box beside the status that will guide you through what to do after checking.
An “in progress” status may tell you how long you can expect to wait, which could be anywhere from a few days to over a week. A “cancelled” status, according to users who have experienced it, most likely means Amex needs more information to verify your identity.
Here’s how to check your American Express credit card application status by phone:
- Call American Express at 1-800-567-1083.
- When prompted to say what you’re calling about, say “application status.”
- Say or type the last 4 digits of your SSN when asked.
- Say or type your zip code when asked.
- Listen for your application status.
That’s all there is to it. Neither method is more involved or takes much more time than the other. If you’re approved, you should receive your card in 7-10 business days. If you’re denied, you can always call Amex’s reconsideration line at 1-866-314-0237. But you’ll have to make a good case for why they should approve you (e.g. your income recently went up or some of the information on the application was incorrect).