WalletHub, Financial Company
You can get an American Express credit limit increase by requesting one online or by calling either the number on the back of your card or (800) 528-4800. To request a credit limit increase online, follow these steps:
- Log into your Amex account using your credentials.
- Click on “Account Services” and then “Credit Management.”
- Finally, click on “Increase Line of Credit.”
For phone requests, you’ll be dealing with an automated system at first. But entering your account number and answering the prompts with “Increase credit limit” will get you transferred to a customer service representative who can walk you through the process.
Those are the basics, but there are a few more things you should know before asking for a higher limit.
Here’s how American Express credit limit increases work:
- American Express decides your limit based on your credit reports and scores, your total debt and your payment history with Amex. Your income and the amount of credit you use also play a role.
- You have a stronger chance of being approved for an increase if you’ve made at least your last five consecutive payments on time. Falling behind on your payments or going over your credit limit will most likely get you a denial.
- It is not certain whether Amex will do a hard inquiry or not for credit line increase requests. That means asking for one might cause a temporary dip in your credit score.
- There are anecdotal reports of applicants being denied because they asked Amex for a credit limit increase within 60 days of opening their account. That’s not surprising. Credit card companies generally won’t even consider you for a higher limit unless your account has been open for at least six months. Some people also report that the biggest increase you can get is three times your current limit. But that too is unsubstantiated.
There’s no guarantee you’ll get an American Express credit limit increase, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. So long as you don’t use a higher limit to overspend, asking for one can be an easy way to improve your credit score. After all, spending the same amount of money with a higher limit means a lower credit utilization ratio.
2023's Best American Express Credit CardsCompare Cards
James Barker, Member
You can just give them a call at (800) 528-4800. Just make sure you've had the card for at least 2 months, and that you keep your payment records clean.
I was aproved for $10,000 with blue delta sky miles back in January. Since then, I made my payments on time. Account is impecable. So, I requested an increase early may. We'll, I was aproved instantly for another $5000
People also ask
Steve White, Member
First off, get at least 6 months with the card. Obviously, you have to also show responsibility with the card during this time. Don't fall behind on payments, and don't max out the card.
If you've got that down, just request one through the number on the back of your card.
Did we answer your question?