American Express Plan It is a new feature that allows you to pay off large purchases on your American Express credit card with a flat fee ranging from 1.11% - 1.17% for each purchase and no interest each month. The fee will vary, depending on which card you use. Plan It is currently available only on American Express consumer cards. Charge cards and small business credit cards are not eligible.
You can use Plan it for eligible purchases either online or on the Amex mobile app. Ineligible purchases include transactions subject to a foreign transaction fee, purchases under $100, cash equivalent purchases such as gift cards and lottery tickets, and any American Express credit card fees. You’ll still earn rewards points on any Plan It Purchases made with an American Express rewards card.
Note that you’re still able to pay your American Express bill through your preferred payment method.
Here is how American Express Plan It works:
- Log in to your AmEx Mobile app or from your online account. Eligible purchases will have a Plan It icon.
- Select the Transaction you want to plan, click the Plan It icon, then click “Create a Plan.”
- Your eligible transaction will have up to three payment plan options, which include the applicable payment period and required monthly payment. A plan fee is included in your monthly payment. The fee varies based on your card’s APR and the length of the plan.
- Once you confirm your plan option, your monthly plan will be added to your minimum payment due on your next bill.
- All payments towards your Plan it account balance are first applied towards your minimum payment due. Once the minimum payment is met, any additional payments will be applied to your outstanding balance. Payments may take up to 48 hours to be reflected on your account.
- You won’t be charged future fees If you pay off your balance early. If you don’t pay off the balance by the end of the payment period, you’ll be charged interest at the regular APR on the unpaid balance.
If you have an American Express credit card with an introductory 0% APR, you wouldn’t benefit from the Plan It feature. You’re better off paying down your balance during the promotional period without incurring any interest – or additional plan fees.
What’s the fee?
Varies by card. 1.11% - 1.17%
WalletHub Answers is a free service that helps consumers access financial information. Information on WalletHub Answers is provided “as is” and should not be considered financial, legal or investment advice. WalletHub is not a financial advisor, law firm, “lawyer referral service,” or a substitute for a financial advisor, attorney, or law firm. You may want to hire a professional before making any decision. WalletHub does not endorse any particular contributors and cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of any information posted. The helpfulness of a financial advisor's answer is not indicative of future advisor performance.
WalletHub members have a wealth of knowledge to share, and we encourage everyone to do so while respecting our content guidelines
. Please keep in mind that editorial and user-generated content on this page is not reviewed or otherwise endorsed by any financial institution. In addition, it is not a financial institution’s responsibility to ensure all posts and questions are answered.