Chip Lupo, Credit Card Writer
American Express offers rental car insurance as a complimentary benefit on all American Express-branded credit cards. American Express rental car insurance covers rental car damage or theft, accidental injury, accidental death or dismemberment, and personal property damage. Cardholders are covered up to $50,000 - $75,000 per rental agreement for rental car damage or theft. To get the coverage, a cardholder must decline the rental agency’s insurance and pay for the rental entirely with an American Express credit card or points or cash back rewards.
Notable American Express Credit Cards That Offer Rental Car Insurance
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- American Express® Gold Card
- American Express® Green Card
- American Express Cash Magnet® Card
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
Key Things To Know About American Express Rental Car Insurance
- Coverage Amount. Up to $50,000 - $75,000 per rental agreement for rental car damage or theft.
- File Claims for Domestic Rentals Through Primary Insurance First. The American Express rental car insurance benefit provides secondary coverage for domestic rentals of up to 30 days, so you will need to file a claim through your primary insurance carrier first, if you have one.
- Coverage Is Primary When Renting Vehicles Abroad. If you’re renting a vehicle outside of your home country, coverage under the American Express Platinum card rental car insurance benefit is primary and lasts for up to 30 days.
- Not All Vehicles or Incidents Are Covered. American Express rental car insurance does not cover vans, cars used for commercial purposes, leased vehicles, cars older than 20 years, limousines, motorcycles, and off-road vehicles, among others. Coverage also does not apply to certain incidents such as events arising out of illegal activity, intentional damage, off-road operation of the rental vehicle, or use of the vehicle in violation of the terms and conditions of the rental agreement.
American Express Rental Car Insurance Claims
To file a American Express rental car insurance claim, call the Benefit Administrator at 1-800-338-1670 or visit the card’s benefits website to obtain a claim form. You will need to submit the claim form, along with any requested supporting documents – such as an itemized repair bill, a copy of the receipt for the rental of the vehicle, photos of the damaged vehicle, or a police report – no later than 60 days after the incident.
You should receive payment from the Benefits Administrator within 90 days after receipt of all documents and the validation of your claim.
All information about the American Express Cash Magnet® Card has been collected independently by WalletHub. The American Express Cash Magnet® Card is no longer available to new applicants through WalletHub, but may be available on the American Express website.
2023's Best American Express Credit CardsCompare Cards
People also ask
Did we answer your question?