There are several different ways to earn Amex Business Platinum points. You can spend $10,000 in the first three months for 50,000 bonus points, or $20,000 for 75,000 points. You’ll get 5 points per dollar for flights and hotels, and 1.5 points per $1 for any purchase of $5,000 or more. Plus, when you use points to play for flights, you’ll get 35% of them back.
Your points will show up in your account somewhere between 6-12 weeks after you earn them, depending on the type of bonus. I’ll walk you through the specifics below.
Here’s how you earn Amex Business Platinum Points:
- You get 50,000 points for spending $10,000 in the first three months your account is open. You also get 25,000 more points for spending another $10,000 within that period. You’ll get your points 8-12 weeks after you meet the spending requirements.
- You earn 5 points per $1 on flights and eligible hotels booked at amextravel.com. They’ll post to your account 10-12 weeks after you make such a purchase.
- You get 1.5 points per $1 on purchases of $5,000 or more. You can earn up to a million points per year this way. They’ll be credited to your account 8-12 weeks after you make this type of purchase.
- You get 1 point per $1 on all other purchases. They’ll appear in your account 8-12 weeks after you make a charge.
- You get a 35% rebate on points used to pay for first class or business class flights on amextravel.com. You can earn up to 500,000 points a year with this bonus. They’ll show up in your account 6-10 weeks after you book a flight.
If you don’t make your minimum payment on time, you forfeit your points for that month. You can get those points back, but you have to pay a $35 fee. Since Amex points are worth up to one cent each, paying the fee is only worth it if you have 3,500 points or more.