The Amex Delta Platinum MQM offer is 5,000 Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQMs) for spending $1,000 in your first three months as a card member. Unlike regular frequent flyer miles, MQMs can’t be used to book travel. Instead, they go towards earning Medallion status. Medallion is Delta’s four-tiered loyalty program, whose benefits include extra miles on purchases, complimentary upgrades, and waived fees.
You can also get 10,000 MQMs for spending $25,000 in a calendar year, and another 10,000 for spending $50,000. All told, you can earn up to 25,000 MQMs during your first year and 20,000 in the following years.
That’s the MQM offer, but to earn Medallion status with your American Express card you also need Medallion Qualifying Segments and Medallion Qualifying Dollars. I’ll explain those below.
Here’s what you should know about the Amex Delta Platinum MQM offer:
- In addition to Amex Delta Platinum’s bonuses, you can earn Medallion Qualifying Miles by flying Delta. If you fly First Class or Business Class, you’ll get 1 MQM per mile flown. For lower classes, you’ll get 0.5 MQMs per mile.
- MQSs are Medallion Qualifying Segments. They reward you for flying frequently rather than for flying far.
- MQDs are Medallion Qualifying Dollars. Medallion Qualifying Dollars are what you spend on Delta flights, aside from taxes.
- You need 25,000 MQMs or 30 MQSs to reach the lowest Medallion status, Silver. You also need 3,000 MQDs to qualify for Medallion. That means spending at least $3,000 on Delta flights.
- You can get the MQD requirement waived by spending $250,000 with your Delta Amex Platinum Card in a calendar year. However, just meeting the MQD requirement is by far the more cost-effective option for most people.
- You earn Medallion status for the upcoming year, and your MQMs reset to zero at the end of each year. For example, if you earned Medallion status in 2018, you would enjoy the benefits in 2019.
- Any MQMs between tiers that you have earned at the end of the year will roll over into the next year. This means that if you have earned enough miles to put you between tiers, they won’t be wasted.
The Amex Delta Platinum MQM offer lets you earn Medallion Qualifying Miles by spending with your Amex card. In the first year, you can combine the full 20,000 MQM spending bonus with the 5,000 MQM initial bonus. This will give you enough MQMs to meet the requirement with your Amex card alone. You’ll also need 3,000 MQDs, which you can earn by spending $3,000 on Delta flights. And after the first year, you’ll need to earn another 5,000 MQMs even if you max out the Delta Amex offer.