You can get a PayPal credit card by applying for one online, but you need at least good credit to qualify for approval. There are actually two different PayPal credit cards, one that rewards you with points and one that gives cash back. The PayPal Extras Mastercard offers 3 points per $1 spent on gas and restaurant purchases, 2 points per $1 on PayPal and eBay purchases, and 1 point per $1 on everything else. The PayPal Cashback Mastercard gives you 2% cash back on all purchases. You’ll probably need a 700+ credit score to have good approval odds for either card. And Synchrony, their issuer, will also consider your income, debt, number of open accounts and various other factors when considering you.
But you don’t need a PayPal credit card to use a credit card on PayPal. You might benefit more from a card like Capital One Venture, which has a huge initial bonus. Plus, neither of PayPal’s credit cards offer a 0% introductory APR, so they’re not ideal for financing. You’re better off with the likes of the HSBC Gold Mastercard, which offers 0% on purchases for 18 months, for that.
Here’s how to get a PayPal credit card:
- Compare the PayPal Extras Mastercard and the PayPal Cashback Mastercard to determine which is better for you. If you like one of them, click “Learn More” to get a more detailed description.
- Check your latest credit score. Remember, you’ll need at least good credit (700+) and a steady income to be approved for either PayPal-branded credit card.
- Consider whether another type of credit card would save you more money than your favorite PayPal credit card.
- Click “Apply Now” once you choose a card. You can do so from a credit card comparison website or PayPal’s credit card page.
- If you’re applying for a PayPal card, log into your PayPal account to access the application.
- Fill out and submit the application, making sure all your personal information is correct.
- Wait for a decision. You could be approved instantly, or it might take another 1-2 weeks.
If you want a credit card for PayPal more than a PayPal credit card, Citi Double Cash is another good option to consider. It gives you 2% cash back on all purchases and also offers an 18-month 0% balance transfer APR. Capital One Venture gives 2 miles per $1 on all purchases and has a 50,000-point initial bonus for spending $3,000 in the first 3 months.
All in all, the PayPal branded cards have very decent rewards. But the top rewards cards on the market can give you much more.
WalletHub Answers is a free service that helps consumers access financial information. Information on WalletHub Answers is provided “as is” and should not be considered financial, legal or investment advice. WalletHub is not a financial advisor, law firm, “lawyer referral service,” or a substitute for a financial advisor, attorney, or law firm. You may want to hire a professional before making any decision. WalletHub does not endorse any particular contributors and cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of any information posted. The helpfulness of a financial advisor's answer is not indicative of future advisor performance.
WalletHub members have a wealth of knowledge to share, and we encourage everyone to do so while respecting our content guidelines
. Please keep in mind that editorial and user-generated content on this page is not reviewed or otherwise endorsed by any financial institution. In addition, it is not a financial institution’s responsibility to ensure all posts and questions are answered.