You’ll need a 640 credit score or higher for most gas cards. That’s fair credit or better. At this credit level, you may qualify for gas cards from specific stations such as the Phillips 66 Credit Card or the ExxonMobil Gas Card. These can only be used to make purchases at the affiliated gas stations. [sc_2f2277753687462aed29eb82dc58580f] credit or better (a score of 700+) is required to get most … read full answergas rewards credit cards like Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, which offer extra cash back on all gas purchases made at U.S. gas stations. There are also gas cards that are co-branded with a gas station but can be used anywhere, such as the Shell Credit Card, that also require good credit or better.
If you have less than fair credit, consider getting a secured credit card to pay for your gas purchases. The odds of approval are higher because you’ll have to put up a security deposit to set your credit limit. The deposit is fully refundable when you close the account without an outstanding balance. In addition, secured cards work like regular credit cards, which means you can use them anywhere credit cards are accepted. An ideal secured card for gas purchases is the Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards Secured Credit Card. It offers 3% cash back in a category of your choice, 2% back at grocery stores and wholesale clubs (up to $2,500 spent quarterly in the 3% and 2% categories combined), and 1% back on all other purchases. And you can choose gas as your category for the supplemented 3% cash back rate.
WalletHub Answers is a free service that helps consumers access financial information. Information on WalletHub Answers is provided “as is” and should not be considered financial, legal or investment advice. WalletHub is not a financial advisor, law firm, “lawyer referral service,” or a substitute for a financial advisor, attorney, or law firm. You may want to hire a professional before making any decision. WalletHub does not endorse any particular contributors and cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of any information posted. The helpfulness of a financial advisor's answer is not indicative of future advisor performance.
WalletHub members have a wealth of knowledge to share, and we encourage everyone to do so while respecting our content guidelines. This question was posted by a WalletHub user. Please keep in mind that editorial and user-generated content on this page is not reviewed or otherwise endorsed by any financial institution. In addition, it is not a financial institution’s responsibility to ensure all posts and questions are answered.
Ad Disclosure: Certain offers that appear on this site originate from paying advertisers, and this will be noted on an offer’s details page using the designation "Sponsored", where applicable. Advertising may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). At WalletHub we try to present a wide array of offers, but our offers do not represent all financial services companies or products.