You can request a Citibank credit card limit increase online or by phone, at 1 (800) 950-5114. Citi may also offer an automatic credit limit increase if its regular reviews of the account show a history of on-time payments and low debt. Periodic reviews typically start after the account has been open for about six months. To make a decision about a credit limit increase, Citi will also review your current income as well as your credit history.
Some Citibank credit card limit increase requests may involve Citi doing a hard pull of your credit report, at least as of February 2019. A hard pull may cause a short-term dip in your credit score. Citi will almost always use a harmless soft pull initially, but will do a hard pull if you ask them for a higher increase than they first offer you. And when Citi offers an automatic credit limit increase, they will always use a soft pull. Citi cannot do a hard pull without your permission.
How to get a Citibank credit card limit increase online:
- Log in to your online account. Click Services, and then “Credit Card Services.”
- Select “Request a Credit Limit Increase” under the Card Management menu.
- Choose the Citibank account for which you’re requesting the increase (if you have more than one).
- Enter your total annual income and monthly mortgage/rent payment. Click “Continue.”
- Confirm the information entered and click “Continue” to submit the request.
- Review the decision you will receive after a few seconds. If you’re approved for an increase, the new credit limit is effective immediately.
A Citibank credit card limit increase can boost your credit standing if you use the extra purchasing power responsibly. The added credit can lower your utilization, assuming your spending does not increase, and that in turn can raise your credit score. If you’re planning on making a major purchase soon, an increase will also reduce the risk of maxing out the card’s credit limit.
To raise your chances of being approved for an increase, always pay your bill on time and pay more than the minimum due. And if your income increases, make sure to update that information on your online account, as Citi will see that you can afford higher limits.