You can request a Citibank credit card limit increase online, through the Citi Mobile App, or by phone, at (800) 950-5114. Citi may also offer an automatic credit limit increase if its regular reviews of the account show a history of on-time payments and low debt. Periodic reviews typically start after the account has been open for about six months. To make a decision about a credit limit increase, Citi will also review your current income as well as your credit history.
When requesting a credit limit increase, Citibank will consider several factors that determine whether a soft pull or a hard pull will be used. But you can rest assured that Citibank will always notify you before doing a hard pull on your credit report. In case the request will result in a hard pull, it may cause a short-term dip in your credit score. When Citi offers an automatic credit limit increase; they will always use a soft pull.
How to get a Citibank credit card limit increase online:
- Log in to your online account or your Citi Mobile App. Click Services, and then “Credit Card Services.”
- Select “Request a Credit Limit Increase” under the Card Management menu.
- Choose the Citibank account for which you’re requesting the increase (if you have more than one).
- Enter your total annual income and monthly mortgage/rent payment. Click “Continue.”
- Confirm the information entered and click “Continue” to submit the request.
- You should receive the decision within a few seconds of submitting the request. If you’re approved for an increase, the new credit limit is effective immediately.
A Citibank credit card limit increase can boost your credit standing if you use the extra purchasing power responsibly. The added credit can lower your utilization, assuming your spending does not increase, and that in turn can raise your credit score. If you’re planning on making a major purchase soon, an increase will also reduce the risk of maxing out the card’s credit limit.
To raise your chances of being approved for an increase, always pay your bill on time and pay more than the minimum due. And if your income increases, make sure to update that information on your online account, as Citi will see that you can afford higher limits.