Christie Matherne, Credit Card Writer
The best Discover card for bad credit is definitely the Discover it® Secured Credit Card. In fact, it’s really the only Discover card that you can count on getting despite a bad credit score. Here’s how it works: When you apply, you place a security deposit of at least $200, which will become your credit line if you’re approved. This refundable deposit acts as collateral for Discover, reducing their risk.
But that’s not all you need to know about Discover it® Secured Credit Card. There’s more to learn, both in terms of its benefits and some fine print details.
The Discover it® Secured Credit Card is the best Discover card for bad credit because:
- You won’t pay an annual fee. This card is free to have. There’s a 0% foreign transaction fee. But do keep in mind that you’ll have to temporarily part with at least $200 to make the security deposit.
- There are rewards. It’s unusual for a secured card to have rewards, but the Discover it® Secured Credit Card does. You get 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants (up to $1,000 spent each quarter combined), and 1% back on all other purchases.
- Credit-building potential is equal to unsecured. There’s no difference in the way secured cards and unsecured cards report information to the credit bureaus.
- You can increase your credit limit. Any time after getting your first monthly statement, you can call Discover at 800-315-1776 to add to your security deposit. Your credit line will increase by the amount of this additional deposit.
- Graduation to unsecured is possible. After you’ve had Discover it® Secured Credit Card for at least 7 months, Discover will review your credit every so often. They might decide to refund your security deposit and transition you to an unsecured card.
So, the Discover it® Secured Credit Card is easy to get and has a lot of benefits. But if you want options with no security deposit and are open to cards from other companies, you can check out the Credit One Bank® NASCAR® Credit Card, the Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa® for Rebuilding Credit and the Indigo® Mastercard® for Less than Perfect Credit. They’re some of the best offers for bad credit.
2023's Best Discover Credit CardsCompare Cards
William Pope, Member
Definitely the Discover it® Secured Credit Card. If you have really bad credit, secured cards are the only ones you can get. The Discover it® Secured Credit Card card doesn't charge annual fees, and even has cash back rewards, so I think that would be your best bet.
Monet Paul, Member
Just get the Discover it® Secured Credit Card. You can apply for it, even if you have bad. Plus, if you make payments on time, your score will go up.
People also ask
Did we answer your question?