Chip Lupo, Credit Card Writer
Yes, you do get your deposit back from a Citi secured credit card, as Citi will always refund the deposit in full when you close the account with no unpaid balance. Citi will also return your deposit to you if they graduate your secured card to an unsecured card without closing the account. It typically takes up to 100 days for a Citi deposit refund to be processed.
The only cases where you will not get your full deposit back from a Citi secured credit card are if there is a balance remaining when you close the account or if you default on your payments. In those cases, Citi will use the deposit to recoup what you owe them.
Key Facts About Citi Secured Card Deposit Refunds
- If you close the account with no unpaid balance, you get 100% of your deposit back.
- If you close the account with a balance, the balance is subtracted from your deposit refund.
- If you don’t pay your credit card balance at all, Citi can recoup their money using the deposit.
- It normally takes Citi up to 100 days to refund your deposit after you close the account.
- Citi may return your deposit and make the account unsecured if you use it responsibly.
So don’t worry about putting up a deposit when you get a issuer secured card. You’re not parting with any of the money for good, as long as you pay off your balance. The deposit just gives the issuer a guaranteed way to recoup their money if you don’t pay.
2023's Best Citi Credit CardsCompare Cards
People also ask
Did we answer your question?