The Amex Delta Platinum companion ticket is an electronic certificate you get every year when you renew your Platinum Delta SkyMiles card from American Express. The certificate lets you bring a companion on one round-trip domestic flight, without buying another ticket. You won’t get an Amex Delta Platinum companion ticket the first year you have the card, as it’s only provided after your annual account anniversary. But after you renew your card and pay the $195 annual fee, it will be available within a month. You can log on to Delta.com, go to “My Delta,” and select “My Wallet,” then “Credits and Certificates.” You companion certificate will be there waiting.
To use your companion certificate, find the 8-digit code at the bottom and enter it on Delta’s redemption portal. From there, you’ll be able to search for and book eligible flights.
But before you redeem, there’s some fine print that might affect your trip.
Here’s what you should know about the Amex Delta Platinum companion ticket:
- Even though you don’t have to buy a second ticket to use your companion certificate, you may still have to pay up to $75 in government-imposed taxes and fees. Baggage charges also apply.
- For most fares, you’ll need to book 14 days in advance if you want to bring a companion. Your trip must last a minimum of three nights and a maximum of 30 days.
- You must book and complete travel by the date on your companion certificate. Normally, this is 13 months from the date it’s issued.
- Both the primary ticket and the companion ticket must be booked for the same flight on the same date.
- You must book your entire reservation through Delta’s website and pay with your Delta SkyMiles credit card to use your companion ticket.
- Only Main Cabin seats in coach and business classes are eligible for companion flights.
- If the person who bought the ticket is a member of Medallion, a Delta rewards program, both people on the reservation are eligible for free upgrades, when available. The person traveling on the companion certificate just has to be a SkyMiles member. Upgrades are based on the status of the higher-tiered passenger on the reservation.
- Companion tickets are non-transferable once a flight is booked. So you can’t switch companions.
- Companion tickets can’t be combined with other discounts or sales.
The Amex Delta Platinum companion ticket isn’t quite as free as it sounds, since you still have to pay taxes and fees. And there are restrictions about how and when you can redeem your certificate. But all in all, if you’re an Amex Delta Platinum card member, it’s a great way to get a (nearly) free flight.