Chip Lupo, Credit Card Writer
You can get approved for a Capital One credit card if you are at least 18 years old, have proof of enough income to make your monthly minimum payment, and meet the specific card’s credit score requirement. Capital One will also take into account your monthly housing payment and all sources of income, among other factors.
If you’re unsure whether you’ll be approved, Capital One offers the possibility to check if you pre-qualify for any of their cards. This way, you can better assess your approval odds before you apply. Pre-qualification is quick and it’s done using a soft inquiry, so there’s no effect on your credit score.
How to Get Approved for a Capital One Credit Card
- Meet the general requirements. You must be at least 18 years old with a valid Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) in order to apply. You will also need to provide your birthdate and a physical U.S. address (no P.O. boxes).
- Report a sufficient annual income. Your application must include your annual income and the sources of that income. Capital One requires a monthly income that’s at least $425 more than your monthly housing payment.
- Know your credit score before you apply. Some Capital One cards require good credit for approval, which means a credit score of at least 700. Capital One also offers a number of credit cards for people with credit scores below 700. You can check your credit score for free on WalletHub.
- Make sure bankruptcies have been discharged. Capital One will reject your application if you have an unresolved bankruptcy on your credit report.
- Check your Capital One account and application history. Your application will be denied if you’ve submitted a Capital One credit card application twice or more in the past 30 days. The same is true if you’re past-due or over your credit limit on any other Capital One credit card accounts.
If you are unable to get approved for a Capital One credit card, consider becoming an authorized user on someone else’s credit card account. As an authorized user, you will receive your own card, which will be linked to the primary cardholder’s account. Plus, you can build your credit history while the primary cardholder assumes responsibility for all charges on the account.
2023's Best Capital One Credit CardsCompare Cards
People also ask
Did we answer your question?