The three levels of Mastercard are Standard Mastercard, followed by World Mastercard and World Elite Mastercard. Each Mastercard level has its own package of cardholder benefits. The higher the level, the more lucrative the benefits. But even with Mastercard’s most basic level, cardholders receive a $0 fraud liability guarantee, emergency support and ID theft protection.
It is worth mentioning that while Mastercard provides many benefits, the most important features of a Mastercard credit card are actually provided by the card’s issuer. That’s because Mastercard is a credit card network, such as Visa and American Express. And while other credit card networks also issue credit cards, Mastercard doesn’t.
Standard Level Benefits:
- Zero Liability Protection: Cardholders are protected against fraudulent purchases, so they never have to pay for unauthorized charges.
- Mastercard Global Service: 24/7 global emergency assistance with lost or stolen cards, obtaining emergency card replacements or cash advances, finding ATMs and answering other questions related to the account. To access this service, just call (800) 307-7309 if in the U.S. or a country-specific toll-free number when you’re abroad.
- Mastercard ID Theft Protection: Sends alerts whenever suspicious activity is detected and assigns cardholders a resolution specialist to help with issues related with identity theft. You can activate this service through its online portal.
World Mastercard Benefits:
- Standard Level Benefits: Benefits from the Standard level also apply to World Mastercard cards.
- Travel insurance: World Mastercard insurance benefits include travel accident insurance (up to $200,000), trip delay insurance, baggage delay insurance, rental car insurance, and trip cancellation/interruption insurance.
- Benefits for Purchases: These include extended warranty, as well as price protection and purchase assurance.
- ShopRunner Memberships: Free two-day deliveries and returns with over 100 online retailers including Brooks Brothers, Saks Fifth Avenue and more.
- Discounts: Free deliveries and discounts with DoorDash and HelloFresh. This benefit also includes Lyft offers which give cardholders credit for taking rides every month.
- Priceless Golf: Exclusive offers and experiences with the PGA Tour and access to Mastercard’s Golf Concierge Services and lessons to sharpen your game.
- Professional Travel Services: Travel advisors help to plan trips 24/7. They can be reached by calling at (855) 802-1387 or by accessing the travel portal.
- Lowest Hotel Rate Guarantee: Booking a prepaid hotel stay through Mastercard World cards and finding that same stay advertised for less before checking in, may get you a refund for the price difference.
- Hotel Stay Guarantee: In case a 3+ star hotel booking made through Mastercard Travel encounters issues, you can contact a designated travel manager to coordinate with the hotel and make things right for you.
- Luxury Hotel Benefits: Complimentary daily breakfasts, special amenities, room upgrades and early/late check-in/out upgrades can be up for grabs on Mastercard’s travel portal.
- Mastercard Airport Concierge: Savings on airport meet and greet services which provide assistance from agents who escort you through the airport, 24/7.
- Free nights, car, RV and air: Enjoy free nights at partner hotels, status upgrades on car rentals, savings on air and private jets.
World Elite Mastercard Benefits:
- World Mastercard benefits: All benefits from the World Mastercard level apply to World Elite Mastercard cards, too.
- Extra Travel Insurance: $1,000,000 in travel accident insurance ($800,000 more than World Mastercard)
- World Elite Programs: Exclusive discounts and complimentary extras for hotel stays, air travel, cruises, tours, ride-sharing, online shopping, food delivery services, and more.
- Premium Experiences: Exclusive access and VIP treatment with discounts to a wide range of experiences. These include activities in over 40 cities around the world (private tours, cooking lessons, meet and greets, and more), golfing experiences with PGA Tour and exclusive access to clubs worldwide.
- Fandango deals: Get discounts for using their streaming service or buying movie tickets at Fandango.
- World Elite Concierge: A complimentary 24/7 concierge service that acts as a relentless personal assistant. Reserve that perfect table, locate hard-to-find items and more.
If you don’t know which level of benefits does your Mastercard have, you can find out by looking for the label just above the Mastercard logo. If you only see the Mastercard logo and not the words “World” or “World Elite”, on your card, then it's probably Standard.
Alternatively, you can contact the issuer of your Mastercard and ask about your level of benefits. It is also worth noting that even if you have a World or World Elite Mastercard, you might not have all the perks mentioned above included with your card. That’s because it's up to the issuer to decide specific benefits.
WalletHub Answers is a free service that helps consumers access financial information. Information on WalletHub Answers is provided “as is” and should not be considered financial, legal or investment advice. WalletHub is not a financial advisor, law firm, “lawyer referral service,” or a substitute for a financial advisor, attorney, or law firm. You may want to hire a professional before making any decision. WalletHub does not endorse any particular contributors and cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of any information posted. The helpfulness of a financial advisor's answer is not indicative of future advisor performance.
WalletHub members have a wealth of knowledge to share, and we encourage everyone to do so while respecting our content guidelines
. This question was posted by WalletHub. Please keep in mind that editorial and user-generated content on this page is not reviewed or otherwise endorsed by any financial institution. In addition, it is not a financial institution’s responsibility to ensure all posts and questions are answered.