The best must-have credit card is Citi Double Cash because it gives a consistent 2% cash back on all purchases and has a $0 annual fee. That’s one of the highest rates on the market when it comes to cash back on everything. Double Cash also offers one of the longest 0% APR balance transfer periods – 18 months (3% (min $5) fee). No matter what gets charged to Double Cash, it will provide a lot of rewards in return, and that makes it a good staple in any wallet.
Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Cardis one of the must-have credit cards for travelers. It offers 50,000 miles for spending $3,000 in the first 3 months. Plus, it gives 2 miles per $1 on all purchases. That’s the best miles rate on the market when it comes to all purchases. Venture costs $95 per year.
There are plenty of other must-have credit cards as well. People looking to finance a big purchase should consider the U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card, which offers the longest 0% interest rate on the market at 20 months. And there’s a must-have credit card for people looking to rebuild credit too – the Discover it® Secured Card. It helps customers rebuild credit while earning substantial rewards.
Top 10 Must-Have Credit Cards:
• Must-have cash back credit card: Citi Double Cash. $0 annual fee. 2% cash back on all purchases, 1% at the time of purchase and 1% after paying the bill. 0% APR on balance transfers for 18 months (3% (min $5) fee). Excellent credit required.
• Must-have travel rewards credit card: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card. $95 annual fee. 50,000 miles for spending $3,000 in the first 3 months. 2 miles per $1 on all purchases. Good credit required.
• Must-have 0% APR credit card: U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card. $0 annual fee. 0% APR on purchases for 20 months. 0% APR on balance transfers for 20 months (3% (min $5) fee). Excellent credit required.
• Must-have credit card for bad credit: Discover it® Secured Card. $0 annual fee. 2% cash back on up to $1,000 spent per quarter at gas stations and restaurants and 1% on everything else. Discover matches first year’s cash back. For bad or limited credit.
• Must-have student credit card: Journey® Student Rewards from Capital One®. $0 annual fee. 1% cash back on all purchases or 1.25% for paying on time. For students with limited history credit.
• Must-have business credit card: Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business. $0 annual fee the first year, $95 after. $500 cash back for spending $4,500 in the first 3 months. Unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases. Good credit required.
• Must-have online shopping credit card: Amazon.com Credit Card. $0 annual fee. $60 gift card Amazon gift card after approval ($100 for Amazon Prime members). 3 points per $1 at Amazon and Whole Foods (5 with Prime). 2 points per $1 at gas stations, restaurants and drugstores and 1 on everything else. Good credit required.
• Must-have beginner credit card: Capital One® Platinum Credit Card. $0 annual fee. No deposit required. $300 minimum credit line. Possibility of higher credit line after 6 months.
These are must-have credit cards because they top their respective categories. But you probably shouldn’t get all of them – maybe just the top 2-3, one for each of your biggest needs.
WalletHub Answers is a free service that helps consumers access financial information. Information on WalletHub Answers is provided “as is” and should not be considered financial, legal or investment advice. WalletHub is not a financial advisor, law firm, “lawyer referral service,” or a substitute for a financial advisor, attorney, or law firm. You may want to hire a professional before making any decision. WalletHub does not endorse any particular contributors and cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of any information posted. The helpfulness of a financial advisor's answer is not indicative of future advisor performance.