McKayla Girardin, Car Insurance Writer
After a car accident, your insurance company will ask you basic questions about the accident as part of your reporting and claim-filing process. Some questions will be simple, such as the date and time of the incident, while others may be more complicated. For instance, they may ask about your vehicle damage or if there were any witnesses at the scene.
There are also some questions your insurance company may ask that you likely should not answer right away because they could affect the outcome of your claim. For example, you should avoid making statements about whether or not you sustained injuries or if weather was a factor in the accident.
Common Questions Asked by Insurance Companies After a Car Accident
- What is your policy information, including your name and policy number?
- When did the accident happen?
- Where did the accident happen?
- What factors caused the accident, such as weather or road conditions?
- Which insured vehicle was involved, and what is the year, make, and model of the vehicle?
- Were you the driver at the time of the accident?
- Was there anyone else in the vehicle?
- Were other vehicles involved?
- Was the insured vehicle damaged, and has it been brought to a repair shop?
- Were there any witnesses to the accident?
- Was there a police report filed?
Your insurance company may ask for more details about the accident, but you should avoid making any declarative statements that could factor into their decision about your claim. For example, if your insurance company asks if you have any injuries and you initially say no, but later find you are experiencing pain from accident-related injuries, your reversal on your initial answer could lead to your claim being denied.
Additionally, giving details about what caused the accident or who is at fault should be avoided – these are things the insurance adjuster should be discovering and proving, and your answers could sway the insurance company’s decision.
To learn more, check out WalletHub’s guides to car insurance claims and what to do after a car accident.
People also ask
Did we answer your question?