There is no Citi Double Cash bonus for signing up. In March 2018, Citi Double Cash had a $100 bonus for spending $500 within 3 months of applying on Citi.com. But that promotion is over now, after only lasting a few months. Citi Double Cash doesn’t usually have a signup bonus because it has a higher ongoing rewards rate than other cash back credit cards.
The only current Citi Double Cash bonus is the double cash itself. You get 1% cash back on all purchases, plus another 1% cash back when you pay Citi for those purchases. Hence, double cash back, or a 1% bonus on top of a 1% base earning rate.
If you’re looking for a good cash back credit card with a signup bonus, though, there are several to choose from. The Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa offers $200 for spending $1,000 in the first 3 months. Capital One Quicksilver gives $150 for spending only $500 in the same time period. Both of those cards require good credit or better. If you have excellent credit, Bank of America Cash Rewards has a $200 bonus for spending $500 in the first 90 days.
That said, Citi Double Cash has better ongoing rewards than any of those cards, so you should still consider it.
Here’s what you need to know about the Citi Double Cash bonus:
- In March 2018, there was a $100 Citi Double Cash bonus for applying via Citi.com and spending $500 in the first 3 months. It is no longer available.
- The standard Citi Double Cash bonus is 1% cash back on purchases, plus an extra 1% cash back when you pay off those purchases.
- There’s no Citi Double Cash bonus for referring a friend or adding an authorized user.
- You don’t have to choose between Citi Double Cash and earning an initial bonus. You can always use Double Cash for everyday purchases and get another card with a good bonus. For example, you could supplement Citi Double Cash with Capital One Venture, which has 50,000 bonus miles.
- Double Cash doesn’t charge an annual fee, so there’s no harm in putting it on the bench for a few months while you work your way toward meeting a bonus card’s initial spending requirement.
You should think less about there not being a Citi Double Cash Bonus and more about how valuable the card can be when used wisely. If you pay your bill in full every month, you’ll earn a full 2% cash back on all purchases. That’s twice what the average rewards card gives you as a base rate. And that’s what makes Citi Double Cash such a great choice for everyday spending.