A copayment ("copay") is a small
fixed amount that you pay at the time you receive a covered healthcare service.
An example might be a $20 copay when you see your doctor. A deductible is the
annual amount of healthcare costs you must pay out of pocket before the insurer
will pay any expenses. Usually, copayments are not included in the annual
deductible, but check the specifics of your policy to be sure. You should also be aware that some policies require coinsurance, which is a shared amount that you must pay after you've met your annual deductible. For example, after the deductible the insurer may pay 80% of covered expenses with you "coinsuring" the other 20%.
Deductible - the amount that you must first pay, out of your own pocket, before the insurance kicks in.Co-pay is the amount that you are responsible for while the insurer picks up the remaining balance due.
WalletHub Answers is a free service that helps consumers access financial information. Information on WalletHub Answers is provided “as is” and should not be considered financial, legal or investment advice. WalletHub is not a financial advisor, law firm, “lawyer referral service,” or a substitute for a financial advisor, attorney, or law firm. You may want to hire a professional before making any decision. WalletHub does not endorse any particular contributors and cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of any information posted. The helpfulness of a financial advisor's answer is not indicative of future advisor performance.
WalletHub members have a wealth of knowledge to share, and we encourage everyone to do so while respecting our content guidelines. Please keep in mind that editorial and user-generated content on this page is not reviewed or otherwise endorsed by any financial institution. In addition, it is not a financial institution’s responsibility to ensure all posts and questions are answered.
Ad Disclosure: Certain offers that appear on this site originate from paying advertisers, and this will be noted on an offer’s details page using the designation "Sponsored", where applicable. Advertising may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). At WalletHub we try to present a wide array of offers, but our offers do not represent all financial services companies or products.