I'm sure you already know this, but investing decisions ultimately come down to what the purpose is for making the investment. At 38 i'm typically good with higher risk, higher return seeking retirement accounts because of your long time horizon (especially if you're still contributing).
However, the 250K in your taxable account is a bit different. If you need those funds to possibly put money down on a new house in a couple years, buy a car, etc. then you may be wise to pull back on the volatility in the account by adding bonds, building up cash, or making an alternative allocation like managed futures.
I'm a believer in efficient markets, low-cost investing, and indexing methods about 90% of the time. The other 10% represents periods where, I believe, "noise" can enter markets and create opportunities for those with the resources to take advantage of them. Your current single asset-class exposure doesn't really leave any dry powder to put to work if markets decline and a buying opportunity presents itself. Of course, if you have oter funds in a savings account or your earnings are allowing you to keep contributing to the taxable account, then your income may provide the resources for future purchases and you have greater capacity for risk.
If you'd like a complimentary opinion about what I'd specifically recommend, please feel free to reach out.
Adam C. Harding, CFP®
For informational purposes only. Not to be considered investment advice.
WalletHub Answers is a free service that helps consumers access financial information. Information on WalletHub Answers is provided “as is” and should not be considered financial, legal or investment advice. WalletHub is not a financial advisor, law firm, “lawyer referral service,” or a substitute for a financial advisor, attorney, or law firm. You may want to hire a professional before making any decision. WalletHub does not endorse any particular contributors and cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of any information posted. The helpfulness of a financial advisor's answer is not indicative of future advisor performance.
WalletHub members have a wealth of knowledge to share, and we encourage everyone to do so while respecting our content guidelines
. Please keep in mind that editorial and user-generated content on this page is not reviewed or otherwise endorsed by any financial institution. In addition, it is not a financial institution’s responsibility to ensure all posts and questions are answered.