The best allocation plan you can possibly have is the one that can be as aggressive as possible while also being conservative enough to let you sleep at night.
An old and generic rule-of-thumb is to take your age subtracted from 100 and put that much into stock. So, if you're age 23, you get 100 - 23 = 77. This means you put 77% of your total investment account dollars into stocks and the rest, or 23%, into bonds. Again, that's very generic and not tailored to you, but you could do much worse to start.
Instead of weighing the cost of a traditional planner against the affordability of a place like Betterment or Wealthfront or others, I would look for alternatives including a better financial education. Oops, that's what I do. Shame on me.
If you still have a question, feel free to let me know. We'll figure it out.
WalletHub Answers is a free service that helps consumers access financial information. Information on WalletHub Answers is provided “as is” and should not be considered financial, legal or investment advice. WalletHub is not a financial advisor, law firm, “lawyer referral service,” or a substitute for a financial advisor, attorney, or law firm. You may want to hire a professional before making any decision. WalletHub does not endorse any particular contributors and cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of any information posted. The helpfulness of a financial advisor's answer is not indicative of future advisor performance.
WalletHub members have a wealth of knowledge to share, and we encourage everyone to do so while respecting our content guidelines
. This question was posted by a WalletHub user. Please keep in mind that editorial and user-generated content on this page is not reviewed or otherwise endorsed by any financial institution. In addition, it is not a financial institution’s responsibility to ensure all posts and questions are answered.