This checking account as worked out really well for me. There is no minimum balance, I've never had to deal with a single fee, and its very easy to use the check card when I'm out and about. Frankly I rarely carry cash anymore because the card makes it so easy. All you have to do to is set up the overdraft protection so you can't overdraw and you won't ever have any fees.
TCF Bank Teen Checking
- MONTHLY FEE None
- MIN BALANCE TO AVOID MONTHLY FEE N/A
- OTHER WAYS TO AVOID MONTHLY FEE N/A
- OVERDRAFT FEE None
- NEGATIVE ACCOUNT BALANCE FEE Info Not Found
- IN-NETWORK ATM TRANSACTION FEE None
- ATM NETWORK SIZE N/A
- OUT-OF-NETWORK ATM TRANSACTION FEE $3
- REBATE OF ATM OWNER SURCHARGE up to 2 transactions per month
- FOREIGN ATM FEE 3% (and $5)
- DEBIT CARD VISA
- DEBIT CARD FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE 3%
TCF Bank Teen Checking Additional Info
- REWARDS No
- ONLINE BILL PAY FEE $0 per month
- ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS At least one account holder must be ages 14 to 17. Parent or legal guardian is required to be a joint account holder
- Designed for students ages 14 to 17, with no monthly maintenance fee for active accounts or minimum balance requirements
- TCF will convert this account to a TCF Free Checking account when the minor reaches 18
- TCF fee refunded for up to 2 withdrawals at non-TCF ATMs per statement cycle
- Parental Guidance: Parents and legal guardians can monitor the account balance and help teach good banking habits
The graph above is based on WalletHub data. Actual rates may vary. For time periods with multiple applicable rates in our database, based on different criteria, the above graph reflects the lowest interest rate recorded. Before submitting an application, always verify the rates, fees, and all terms and conditions with the respective financial institution.
Don't see what you're looking for? Submit your question about TCF Bank Teen Checking to our community. Editorial and user-generated content is not provided, reviewed or endorsed by the issuer of this card.
What ID does a 16 year old need to open an account? I do not have driver's license yet. Reply
How do you make a purchase with a student free checking account? Access student checking account Reply
TCF Bank Teen Checking Reviews
I initially signed up for the TCF Student Checking account when I was in college. TCF was the only bank on campus, so I signed up purely out of convenience. I had such horrible experiences with this bank account! At the time when I opened the account, I was a broke college kid--so every cent I had was critical. With that in mind, the fees for the student checking account were ridiculous. I know that banks are businesses and need to make their money somehow...but they really need to be more customer-service oriented. The account doesn't offer interest, so I can't in good faith say that there's any reason I'd recommend this to a friend, family member, or even a stranger.
I have had a TCF Student Checking Account going on 7 years now, I opened it when I was a student at the University of Michigan. They have exceptional customer service and I have been able to tailor my account to fit my needs. I avoid overdraft fees using their overdraft protection and it has helped me on several occasions. Their customer support telephone service is excellent and they are willing to waive first time fees for clients. I have recommended this bank to several friends including my husband and we are always happy with the service.
I wish it were easier to deposit money. I am a student at UW-Stout, and opened my account with TCF back when I was a student at University of Minnesota Duluth. I did this because it was the campus card that was used broadly. Well, Unfortunately for me now that I am a student at UW-Stout there are no TCF locations nearby. This requires me to travel 2 hours back home in order to deposit my check into my account. It is really hard for me to do this with my busy schedule and it is a waste of my time.