WalletHub’s nationally representative Halloween Spending & Financial Fears Survey found that 22 million more people are having nightmares about money problems this year than last year, and that roughly 13 million more people are scared about their kids’ financial future. The survey also includes findings on how politicians prey on people’s financial fears, whether people consider their finances a horror show, and more. The complete results are laid out in the following infographic.
- 22M more people have nightmares about money this year than last year.
- Almost 90% of Americans think that politicians prey on peoples’ financial fears.
- Roughly 13M more people are scared about their kids’ financial futures this year than last year.
- Nearly 40% of people are more afraid of credit card debt than the coronavirus.
- Almost a third of Americans think their finances are a horror show.
- 130M Americans think the coronavirus is the scariest thing about Halloween this year.
Ask the Experts
For advice and insight, we asked a panel of experts to share their thoughts on the following key questions:
- WalletHub’s survey found that 78 million Americans (roughly 31% of adults) would say their finances are a horror show. Do you think that’s more hyperbole or a realistic assessment?
- Are you one of the roughly 70% of Americans who are fearful of a recession? Why or why not?
- Is there any significance to 85% of people saying they plan to spend less on Halloween this year than last year?
- 9 in 10 respondents believe that politicians prey on people’s financial fears - what do you think that says about the current political and economic climate?
Ask the Experts
This report reflects the results of a nationally representative online survey of nearly 1,300 respondents.
After we collected all responses, we normalized the data by age, gender and income so the sample would reflect U.S. demographics.
Full Details Overall
|Do you have nightmares about money problems?|
|Do politicians prey on people’s financial fears?|
|How fearful are you of this economy?|
|What type of expense are you most fearful of?|
|Mortgage / Rent||32%|
|Whose financial future are you most fearful about?|
|Are you planning on spending more or less on Halloween this year compared to last year?|
|Which are you more afraid of?|
|Credit card debt||38%|
|What is the scariest thing about credit cards?|
|Interest rates & fees||37%|
|What’s the scariest thing about Halloween?|
|Strangers Ringing Doorbell||17%|
|What is your biggest financial fear?|
|Not enough retirement savings||26%|
|Loss of health insurance||10%|
|What scares you or stresses you out most?|
|Would you say your finances are a horror show?|
|Are credit cards a trick or a treat?|
|Are you celebrating Halloween this year?|
|No, due to Covid-19||39%|
|No, due to other reasons||26%|
|Which scares you most: COVID-19, COVID-19 vaccines or being out of work?|
|Being out of work||35%|
Note: Percentages may not total 100% due to rounding.