With so many causes and so little time, charitable people often have difficulty deciding how to best allocate their limited resources for maximum impact. Tradeoffs must be considered when evaluating what organization(s) to give to as well as whether to donate manpower, money or goods. This calculator will help you determine the best strategy for your situation by analyzing the value of volunteer hours versus working more and giving cash.
If you worked instead of volunteering you could donate enough money to one of the following charities.
for the 15.2% of Children Facing Hunger in America
against the Measles
for Children In Need Around the World
receiving Clean Water for 1 Year
planted to Protect U.S. Wildlife
saved from Slaughter & Abuse
Infographic: Should you donate time or money?
To help people learn more about Charity Calculator, WalletHub's editors posed the following questions to a panel of experts. You can meet our panelists and read their responses below.
- Where should people look for opportunities to volunteer in their community?
- How should people consider the tradeoff between volunteering their time versus working more and donating extra money to charity?
- How can young people be motivated to volunteer?
- How can charitable organizations retain volunteers over time?
- The COVID-19 pandemic has reduced in-person volunteering opportunities, as well as peoples’ ability to donate money due to a decrease in their disposable income. What alternatives are there for people who are willing to contribute?
- Since persons who volunteer have higher odds of finding a job than those who don’t volunteer (due to developing new skills and expanding personal networks), should public policy promote volunteering as a labor market strategy?