Temple University Credit Card Review Summary:
The Temple University Credit Card is a good all-around credit card for supporters of the Owls who have good credit or better and plan want to earn cash back rewards.
The Temple Card offers an initial rewards bonus of $200, along with pretty good ongoing rewards: 1 - 3% Cash Back. You just have to be comfortable earning cash back at different rates depending on what you buy and how much you’ve spent recently.
This card doesn’t have to be your everyday workhorse, though. It does not charge an annual fee, so it won’t cost you anything just to have for certain bonus-category purchases.
Below, you can find a rundown of the key details that you should keep in mind when deciding whether or not to apply for the Temple Credit Card.
Temple University Credit Card Review Highlights:
- No annual fee. You won’t find an annual fee on any other college or university credit cards, but that can’t be said for cards that aren’t affiliated with institutions of higher learning. Market wide, the average credit card offer charges an annual fee of roughly $19.
- $200 initial bonus. The average cash back credit card bonus has ranged from roughly $150 to $200 in recent months.
- Ongoing rewards of 1 - 3% Cash Back on purchases. The most complicated part of the TU Credit Card offer might also be its most rewarding. Cardholders earn 3% cash back in a category of their choice as well as 2% cash back at grocery stores and wholesale clubs, up to a combined $2,500 spent in those categories per quarter. All other purchases get you 1% cash back.
- BofA banking bonus. Cardholders can get extra cash back by redeeming earnings for a BofA bank account deposit.
- 0% for 15 months as an introductory APR. The Temple University Credit Card offers 0% for 15 months on new purchases, along with 0% for 15 months on balance transfers.
- Fees for foreign transactions and balance transfers. The TU Credit Card adds a surcharge of 3% to purchases processed internationally. Balances transferred from other credit cards grow by 3% (min $10).
- High regular APR range: 13.99% - 23.99% (V). The rate you will be assigned, if approved for an account, depends on your overall creditworthiness. The average credit card offer currently has a regular APR of about 19%.
- Good credit or better needed for approval. We recommend a credit score of 700 or higher for the best approval odds. You will also need a steady income, with enough left over after existing monthly obligations to afford bill payments. If you don’t know your credit score, you can check it for free on WalletHub.
Unfortunately, school-specific imagery is about all that really ties this particular credit card to the TU. There aren’t any special discounts or experiences related to Temple for students, alumni, faculty and other supporters who happen to have the card. There is vague language online about how the card may help support the school but no specifics.
You may want to cast your credit-card net a bit further as a result and consider the best credit card offers overall
, regardless of school affiliation.