- Valuable initial bonus
- Perks for Delta loyalists
- No foreign fee
- Above-average annual fee
- Potential for a high regular APR
Delta Platinum Amex Review Verdict
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card is a valuable addition to any frequent Delta flyer’s wallet. In return for the $250 Platinum Delta SkyMiles annual fee, cardholders get an annual Delta companion certificate, a free checked bag on Delta flights, and a fee credit for either Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, among other benefits.
The Platinum Delta SkyMiles Card’s generous initial bonus - 50,000 miles for spending $2,000 in the first 3 months - will cover several years of the annual fee right out the door. The card gives ongoing bonus rewards in multiple categories, too, including 3 miles per $1 spent on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets, and 1 mile per $1 spent on everything else.
If you aren’t sure whether the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card is up your alley, here’s a breakdown of its important features and flaws. Spoiler alert: Like many rewards and travel credit cards, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card isn’t a smart option for carrying a balance, due to its potential for a high interest rate.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card.*Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- Terms Apply.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- See More Details & Reviews About Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Highlights
Very Valuable Initial Bonus
The initial bonus - 50,000 miles for spending $2,000 in the first 3 months - will more than pay for the card’s annual fee, especially when redeemed for Delta airfare. The Delta Platinum’s bonus also includes 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs). Plus, you can earn up to $100 back in statement credits for purchases at U.S. restaurants made with your card within the first 3 months.
Valuable Ongoing Rewards
Cardholders are rewarded with 1 - 3 miles per $1 spent, depending on the spending category. You’ll get 3 miles per $1 spent with Delta and directly with hotels, 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets, and 1 mile per $1 spent on everything else.
Savings and Perks for Delta Loyalists
Platinum Delta SkyMiles offers reimbursement for either TSA PreCheck or Global Entry once every 4 to 4.5 years. In addition, cardholders get discounted day passes ($39 each) for Delta Sky Club airport lounges on the day of a departing Delta flight, along with up to 2 guests at the same rate. Plus, cardholders earn an annual Delta companion certificate (good for Main Cabin fare) every year they renew their card.
Faster Path to Delta Medallion Status
The easiest Medallion status to get is Silver, which requires 25,000 MQMs and $3,000 Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) in a year. Spending $25,000-$50,000 on the card in a calendar year will net another 10,000-20,000 bonus MQMs. After those bonuses, all you have left to do is spend $3,000 on Delta airfare to reach Silver Medallion status.
No Foreign Fee
Platinum Delta SkyMiles has a foreign transaction fee of 0%. Credit cards that charge foreign fees charge an average of 2.7% on every purchase made or processed abroad. A lack of foreign transaction fees is common with travel credit cards.
Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Lowlights
Above-Average Annual Fee
Platinum Delta SkyMiles isn’t exactly cheap – its $250 annual fee is far above the market average. But for regular Delta travelers, its perks will outweigh the cost, especially in the first year.
Potential for High APR
Steer clear of carrying balances on the Platinum Delta SkyMiles American Express Card. The regular APR range is 15.74% - 24.74% (V), and paying interest will quickly eat away at the card’s overall value.
Other Things to Consider About the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card
Limited Acceptance Abroad
Cards on the American Express network are not as widely-accepted abroad as Mastercard or Visa but maintain wide acceptance in the U.S.
High WalletHub User Ratings
Over 50% of the user reviews on WalletHub give the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card at least 4 out of 5 stars.
Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card vs. Popular Competitors
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
United Explorer Credit Card
|Annual Fee||$250||$0 intro 1st yr, $99 after||$95||$0 intro 1st yr, $95 after|
|Rewards Bonus||50,000 miles||40,000 miles||60,000 points||60,000 miles|
|Rewards Rate||1 - 3 miles / $1||1 - 2 miles / $1||1 - 5 points / $1||1 - 2 miles / $1|
|Purchase Intro APR||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Transfer Intro APR||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Regular APR||15.74% - 24.74% (V)||15.74% - 24.74% (V)||15.99% - 22.99% (V)||16.49% - 23.49% (V)|
|Details, Rates & Fees||Learn More|
Rates & Fees
Rates & Fees
|Learn More||Learn More|