- Lots of ways to redeem
- Above-average value for travel redemption
- Ability to pay annual fee with rewards
- No transfer partners
- Only one credit card option
- Points have lower value with non-travel redemption options
- Points expire after 5 years
U.S. Bank FlexPerks Review Summary
U.S. Bank FlexPerks is the 23th best credit card rewards program, according to WalletHub's latest comparison, receiving 72 points out of a possible 100. The U.S. Bank FlexPerks program currently features only one credit card, the U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card.
The U.S. Bank FlexPerks program provides points that are generally worth 1 cent to 1.7 cents apiece, depending on how you redeem. There are plenty of redemption options, from travel to a statement credit to gift cards.
U.S. Bank FlexPerks Review Scorecard
#25 for Earning Policies
#27 for Redemption Policies
#1 for Rewards Value per Point
#14 for Eligibility & Transparency
Best U.S. Bank FlexPerks Credit Cards
There is only one card participating in U.S. Bank FlexPerks right now: the U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card. It offers rewards in the form of FlexPoints and has a $85 annual fee.
Summary: U.S. Bank FlexPerks Scores by Review Category
|Rewards Value per Point||30/30|
|Eligibility & Transparency||15/20|
How to Earn U.S. Bank FlexPerks
Category Rating: 72% (22/30)
You will earn at least one FlexPoint in return for every dollar you spend with the U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card. There’s no limit on how many points you can earn.
Earning Restrictions: In order to earn the most points on hotel and car rental purchases, you must book directly through the FlexPerks Rewards Center.
How to Redeem U.S. Bank FlexPerks
Category Rating: 25% (5/20)
The best way to redeem U.S. Bank FlexPerks rewards is for paying your annual fee or booking travel, as those options offer the highest value for your points. Below, you can learn more about the different redemption options.
You can book new travel through U.S. Bank’s booking tool.
Cash back redemption can take the form of a statement credit or a deposit into a U.S. Bank checking or savings account.
You can redeem FlexPoints for gift cards from various popular retailers.
You can use your points to pay for the cost of your annual fee.
- Good travel value– Your FlexPoints will be worth the most when you redeem them for travel.
- Ability to pay annual fee with rewards– You can redeem FlexPoints for a statement credit to pay your credit card’s annual fee. You can select this option through your online account or by phone for 90 days before and after the account opening anniversary date.
Redemption Restrictions to Watch Out For:
- Only able to book travel through U.S. Bank– You can only use rewards to book travel through the FlexPerks Rewards Center.
- Lower value for non-travel options– Redeeming your points for cash back or gift cards will provide less value than redeeming them for travel.
- Rewards expire – In order to prevent your FlexPoints from expiring, you must redeem them within 5 years of earning them.
- No transfer partners– S. Bank FlexPerks does not offer the ability to transfer points to the loyalty programs of any merchants or travel providers.
U.S. Bank FlexPerks Value per Point
Category Rating: 100% (30/30)
U.S. Bank FlexPerks points are worth 1 cent to 1.7 cents each, depending on how you redeem. With the U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card, you will earn 1 - 5 points / $1 on purchases.
U.S. Bank FlexPerks Redemption Value
|Redemption Options||Value of 1 point|
|Hotel stays||1.5 cents|
|Car rentals||1.5 cents|
|Statement Credit||1 cent|
|U.S. Bank account deposit (checking/savings)||1 cent|
|Various gift cards||1 cent|
|Pay for annual fee||1.7 cents|
U.S. Bank FlexPerks Eligibility & Transparency
Category Rating: 75% (15/20)
Only one U.S. Bank rewards credit card participates in the U.S. Bank FlexPerks program currently, and that is the U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card. Other U.S. Bank cards, including co-branded credit cards affiliated with a particular retailer, are not eligible.
Discontinued U.S. Bank FlexPerks Cards
U.S. Bank has discontinued some of its FlexPerks credit card offers over the years. While some people may still have these cards, they’re not available to new applicants and were not factored into scoring.
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Travel Rewards Visa Signature® Card
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Select+ American Express® Card
- US Bank FlexPerks℠ Select Rewards Visa® Credit Card
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Business Travel Rewards
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards Visa® Business Credit Card
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Reserve Visa Signature® Card
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Reserve American Express® Card
4 Tips for Getting the Most Out of U.S. Bank FlexPerks
Following these tips could mean the difference between earning a free family vacation and only getting enough for a one-way flight.
- Redeem regularly
The whole point of earning credit card rewards is to enjoy the savings they provide. If you just leave your U.S. Bank FlexPoints sitting in your account unused, they won’t do you much good. FlexPoints expire five years after they’re earned, so it’s vital to redeem them before that happens.
- Redeem for travel
You will get the best value for your U.S. Bank FlexPoints if you redeem them for travel bookings.
- Pay your bill in full every month
Paying interest at a credit card’s regular APR will end up costing you more than rewards save you. Paying in full monthly allows you to avoid interest charges.
- Redeem before closing your account
You will lose any U.S. Bank FlexPoints left unredeemed when you close your account.
U.S. Bank FlexPerks vs. Wells Fargo Rewards vs. Chase Ultimate Rewards
|Category||U.S. Bank FlexPerks||Wells Fargo Rewards||Chase Ultimate Rewards|
|Average Point/Mile Value||1.3 cents||0.53 cents||1.07 cents|
|Redemption Options Rank||27||13||2|
|Notable Rewards Card||U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card||Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card||Chase Freedom Unlimited®|
|Notable Travel Rewards Card||U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card||None||Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card|
U.S. Bank FlexPerks Review Methodology
This review of U.S. Bank FlexPerks is based on the same methodology as WalletHub’s annual study on the Best Credit Card Rewards Programs. Editor’s ratings reflect the sum of each program’s scores across the study’s four major categories, adjusted to a 5-point scale to create a representative distribution of ratings. The four major categories considered were: Earning Policies, Redemption Policies, Rewards Value per $1 Spent and Eligibility & Transparency.
WalletHub calculated U.S. Bank FlexPerks point values by comparing the dollar value of redemption items against the number of points needed for each.