Visa Signature Benefits Explained
Visa Signature benefits include rental car insurance, roadside dispatch, extended warranties and special hotel discounts. Visa Signature benefits are also better than the perks on standard Visa cards, but they’re not as good as those on Visa Infinite cards. Almost any Visa card can be Visa Signature, depending on your overall creditworthiness and the credit limit you’re approved for. If you’re assigned a limit of $5,000+, you’re likely to get the Visa Signature version of your chosen credit card.
Unfortunately, a few of the best credit card perks don’t always come with Visa Signature: travel insurance, purchase protection and return protection. It’s possible for a Visa Signature card to have these benefits, but it’s 100% up to the issuer. All three perks are standard with Visa Infinite cards.
Below, you can learn more about all the Visa Signature benefits and how they compare to other credit cards’ perks.
Visa Signature Benefits vs. Visa & Visa Infinite Benefits
The chart below shows the perks that are standard to each tier of Visa card.
|Benefit||Visa Signature||Visa||Visa Infinite|
|Rental Car Insurance||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Emergency Card Replacement||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Emergency Cash Disbursement||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|$5,000+ Credit Limit||Yes||No||Yes|
|Warranty Manager Service||Yes||No||Yes|
|Travel & Emergency Assistance||Yes||No||Yes|
Standard Visa Signature Benefits
These benefits come standard on Visa Signature cards. You may see some of them on regular Visa cards, too.
- Rental car insurance: This benefit covers physical damage, vandalism or theft, up to the cash value of most vehicles. You have to decline the rental agency’s insurance to be eligible. Certain vehicles (e.g. trucks, large vans) and situations (e.g. drunk driving, injury) aren’t covered.
- Roadside dispatch: Roadside dispatch is a pay-per-use service. You can call Visa any time to get a tire change, a jump start, towing or other needed services. They’ll send assistance to you, for free. But you’ll have to pay the service provider.
- Emergency card replacement: If you lose your card, you can call Visa and they’ll help you get a new one in 24-72 hours, even if you’re abroad.
- Emergency cash disbursement: Visa can arrange to have cash delivered to a place near you for pick up if you lose your card.
- Warranty manager service: You get one extra year of warranty on items you buy with your card. The item has to start with a warranty of three years or fewer, though.
- Luxury Hotel Collection: You get special perks at properties in the Luxury Hotel Collection, including free breakfast, Wi-Fi, food and beverage credits, unique amenities and more. The program includes more than 900 hotels worldwide from brands like Park Hyatt, Peninsula and Shangri-La.
- Rental car deals: If you rent a car from Avis, National or Silvercar, you’ll receive special discounts. The deals vary over time.
- Concierge: This is like your own personal helper. You can call Visa any time and ask their representatives to help buy tickets, find a gift, book a reservation at a restaurant, arrange for transportation and more.
- Deals on golf & wine: Visa Signature and Infinite cardholders who join Troon Rewards get discounts on golf fees and merchandise. Sonoma wineries also give discounts to Visa Signature and Infinite cardholders.
- Travel & Emergency Assistance: This 24/7 hotline can help with all kinds of things. You can get assistance with medical and legal referrals, translation services, delivery of important documents, lost luggage claims and more. The number is 1-800-992-6029 in the U.S., or 804-673-1675 collect from abroad.
- $5,000+ credit limit: Visa Signature cards start with a credit limit of at least $5,000. The same goes for Visa Infinite. But a regular Visa card will usually start with a lower limit.
Possible Visa Signature Benefits
The following benefits come standard only with Visa Infinite cards. But depending on who issued your card, you might have them on your Visa Signature card.
- Travel insurance – Coverage for travel accidents, lost/delated luggage and trip cancellation/delay.
- Purchase protection – Reimbursement for items you buy with your card that break or are stolen within 90 days.
- Return protection – Reimbursement for items in new condition that the merchant doesn’t let you return.
- Global entry statement credit - $100 credit for the Global Entry application fee; Global Entry gets you through customs more quickly.
Your card might have other benefits too, so be sure to read your card’s benefits guide to figure out exactly what you get. It’s good to take advantage of everything your card offers.
Lastly, don’t forget that Visa cards have $0 fraud liability. So you can rest assured that you’re protected against fraudulent purchases.
Best Credit Cards for Visa Signature Benefits
|Visa Signature Benefit||Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card*||Wells Fargo Visa Signature® Card||Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card||USAA® Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card|
|Overall Benefits Score||88.6%||67.95%||46.48%||57.6%|
|Travel Insurance Score||92.9%||82.1%||67%||65.9%|
|Rental Car Insurance Score||91.5%||87.5%||87.5%||80.5%|
|Purchase Protection Score||92.5%||84%||84%||N/A|
|Extended Warranty Score||86.5%||88%||85%||76%|
*Please note, Chase is no longer offering some of these benefits.
Image: Supannee_Hickman / Shutterstock.com
Was this article helpful?