2020 Allstate Insurance Review: Is Your Auto Policy in Good Hands?
Allstate Review Summary: Allstate impresses with their long and varied list of auto insurance discounts, and drivers will need them if they choose to buy a policy from this big-name insurer. Allstate’s premiums are noticeably higher than their top competitors’ rates, coming in near the bottom of WalletHub’s price ranking. But if you can afford the higher-than average premiums, you will be in good hands with Allstate thanks to their 24/7 claims service, solid coverage options, and nationwide network of agents.
In other words, Allstate car insurance should be at the top of the list for more experienced drivers with a clean record, especially those looking to bundle multiple insurance products with one company. However, individuals who have just started driving or who have a poor driving record might want to look elsewhere due to the high costs.
In the sections below, you can learn more about Allstate’s coverage options and complimentary policy add-ons. You can also see how Allstate stacks up against top competitors like State Farm and GEICO.
Allstate Car Insurance Ratings & Reviews
- WalletHub: 4.1/5 (190 user reviews).
- Better Business Bureau: A+ rating (accredited)
- 2019 Allstate J.D. Power Rating: 3/5
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC): 2018 Allstate complaints were slightly higher than the national median for the auto insurance industry.
The quality of Allstate’s customer service is below average compared to other major players in the auto insurance industry. Allstate’s relatively high premiums and claims process have been the primary targets of customer complaints online. In terms of financial strength, Allstate has received an A+ (Superior) rating from A.M. Best, a leading credit rating agency for the insurance industry.
Fun Fact: Allstate’s well-known slogan, “You’re in good hands,” was created back in the 1950s. Actors Ed Reimers (Star Trek), Dennis Haysbert (24), and Dean Winters (Oz) have all served as Allstate spokesmen.
Allstate Auto Insurance Coverage Options
Allstate auto insurance offers all the major coverage options commonly required by state laws. These include coverage for bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments and personal injury protection. There’s also uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, collision coverage, and comprehensive coverage.
Allstate auto policies also include several complimentary built-in benefits. For instance, the Claim Satisfaction Guarantee will provide a premium credit if you’re not happy with your claim service experience. Allstate maintains a network of preferred auto repair shops to help ensure policyholders receive quality repairs. And finally, policyholders have the chance to earn reward points for safe driving through the Allstate Rewards® program.
Customers can further customize their auto policies with special add-ons that provide enhanced protections and benefits.
Supplemental Coverage Options from Allstate:
- Accident Forgiveness: Protects you from a rate increase after an at-fault accident.
- Safe Driving Bonus®: Customers with this benefit on their policies can look forward to a check from Allstate for every six months if you remain accident-free. Allstate will also take $100 off your collision deductible when you add this feature to your policy.
- Deductible Rewards®: Helps to reduce your deductible by $100 each year (up to $500) that you remain accident-free. Receive a $100 off your deductible instantly when you sign up for this benefit.
- New Car Replacement: Allstate will replace your new car (less than 2 model years old) if you completely total it in an accident.
- Rental Reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop due to an accident.
- Sound System Insurance: Covers the cost of audio equipment in the vehicle in event of an accident or theft.
- Roadside Coverage: Pays for the cost of towing, tire repairs, jump starts, locksmith services, and fuel delivery. Policyholders who choose not to add this coverage can still call for roadside help through the Good Hands Rescue app – this is a pay-per-use service. Customers also have the option of upgrading roadside coverage to the Allstate Motor Club, which comes with exclusive benefits such as travel discounts, trip interruption protection, retail savings, legal defense, and more.
The availability and details of the coverage and benefit options listed above vary by state. Not sure how much coverage you need? Allstate’s Bumper-to-Bumper Basics® online tool can help give you an idea of the coverage levels that might be appropriate for you.
Specialty Types of Auto Insurance from Allstate:
- Allstate Milewise Insurance for the occasional driver seeking a more budget-friendly insurance policy. This pay-per-mile option allows drivers to purchase insurance based on how much they drive on a daily basis. Your rate comprises two components: a base rate and a miles-driven rate. The base rate is calculated by factoring in your age, vehicle type and driving history.Milewise is only available in the District of Columbia and the following states: Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia.
- Classic Car Insurance for owners of race cars, antique tractors, old military vehicles, and other classic/collector vehicles. The classic car insurance policy is offered by a third-party provider, Hagerty Insurance Agency.
- Allstate Ride for Hire® Insurance is an add-on to your personal auto policy that costs as little as $15-20 per year. It is designed to cover any gaps in your personal policy when you’re driving for a personal transportation network company like Uber or Lyft. Allstate’s rideshare insurance is not available in all states.
- Allstate Mexico Tourist Auto Insurance provides coverage for liability, medical payments, collision damage and more when you’re driving in Mexico. Allstate partners with a third-party provider to offer this coverage. To qualify, drivers must have a valid U.S. license and be over the age of 21. Younger drivers may be subject to an additional service fee.
Allstate also offers insurance policies for motorcycles, boats, motorhomes, snowmobiles and ATVs.
Sample Allstate Car Insurance Quotes
WalletHub’s editors obtained sample Allstate car insurance quotes for a collection of driver profiles, which are pretty representative of drivers across the United States. Premiums may vary by state, however. The level of car insurance coverage you decide to purchase will also affect the cost.
|Sample Age||Clean Driving Record||Poor Driving Record|
|21||$517 / month||$815 / month|
|30||$282 / month||$443 / month|
|42||$254 / month||$407 / month|
Learn more about WalletHub's Methodology.
- New Car: Up to 15% in savings for insuring your new car (current model year or one year prior) with Allstate.
- Drivewise®: 3% discount for enrolling in Allstate’s driving monitoring program. After your first 50 trips with the program’s app, you may receive up to 15% cash back. The app is designed to encourage safer driving habits by providing personalized feedback. It also has helpful features such as vehicle diagnostic assistance and parking assistance.
- Multiple Policy: Up to 10% discount for bundling your auto insurance and home insurance policies. Bundling auto and life insurance policies can also deliver savings.
- Vehicle Safety: 10% discount for having anti-lock brakes on board. Get an additional 10% discount when your car is equipped with an anti-theft device.
- EZ Pay: Up to 5% discount when you set up autopay on your policy.
- Allstate eSmart®: Up to 10% discount when you choose to receive your insurance documents electronically.
- FullPay®: Up to 10% discount for paying your insurance policy upfront and in full.
- Early Signing®: Up to 10% discount for signing your insurance policy 7 days before it is effective.
- Responsible Payer: Up to 5% discount if you did not receive a cancellation notice for non-payment in the past 12 months.
- Good Grades: Discount for full-time students (unmarried and under the age of 25) who maintain good grades (typically “B” or better average) in school.
- TeenSMART®: Discount for young drivers who have completed a driver education course.
- Away at School: Discount when a young driver on your policy attends school at least 100 miles from home and is not using your vehicle.
- Safe Driving Club: Discount when you meet certain safe driving requirements.
Eligibility criteria for these discounts vary by state, and not all discounts are available in all states.
Allstate vs. Popular Alternatives
|Average Annual Premium||$4,949||$3,546||$3,925||$3,422|
|WalletHub Ranking (total of 46 companies)||40th||21st||26th||17th|
|Complaints Score (lower is best) (lower is best)||0.88||0.84||0.59||0.70|
*Ratings are from JD Power’s 2019 automotive insurance surveys.
In order to determine Allstate’s ranking in the auto insurance industry, WalletHub’s editors reviewed the policies offered by the largest and most popular car insurance companies in the U.S. This enabled us to identify the relative strengths and weaknesses of each company as well as the types of consumers each is best positioned to serve.
More specifically, WalletHub’s Allstate car insurance rating is based on a combination of variables, which research has shown to be particularly important for car insurance shoppers.
- Customer reviews
- Watchdog ratings
- Coverage options
- Coverage limits
- Customer service
- Claims process
To help gauge the level of customer satisfaction at Allstate and other companies, WalletHub calculates a complaints score for each insurer. This score is the ratio of each insurer’s share of all U.S. car insurance complaints over the insurer’s share of annual premiums for private passenger auto policies. Put another way, the complaints score reflects the number of complaints adjusted to the size of the auto insurer. The adjustment is necessary, as larger companies generally receive more complaints.
Assumptions for Allstate Car Insurance Quotes:
Marital Status: Single
Car: Honda Accord
Comprehensive Deductible: $250
Collision Deductible: $500
Collision Deductible Waiver Add-on: Included
|Coverage Type||Coverage Limit|
|Bodily Injury||$100,000/person $300,000/accident|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (Bodily Injury)||$30,000/person $60,000/accident|
To calculate and compare the cost of Allstate auto insurance, WalletHub collected quotes from all major auto insurers for at least 30 cities in California. We also obtained quotes from the state regulator’s database for drivers varying in age and driving record. For the sample quotes, a good driving record assumes no accidents. A poor record assumes at least one at-fault accident or one traffic violation. California was chosen given that it is the most populous state in the U.S., and it lands in the middle of WalletHub’s price rankings.
For more car insurance research, check out WalletHub’s 2019 Cheap Car Insurance Study. And if you have experience with Allstate car insurance that you’d like to share, you can also write an Allstate review.
Was this article helpful?