Dairyland is an average auto insurance company, earning an overall rating of 1.7/5 from WalletHub’s editors, a solid score from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and decent customer reviews. While Dairyland scores well in terms of transparency and its claims process, the company scores poorly when it comes to cost, the number of discounts offered, the types of insurance options available, and financial stability.
Dairyland is best known for offering auto and motorcycle insurance policies with flexible payment plans to customers in 49 states. You cannot get Dairyland insurance in Washington D.C. or California. You can learn more about the company’s offerings below.
Dairyland Reviews and Ratings
- Reviews on WalletHub: 4.2/5
- NAIC: 4.42
- BBB: A+
- A.M. Best: A+
Although Dairyland has received an A+ rating from A.M. Best, one of the nation’s leading credit rating organizations for the insurance industry, it has not received scores from S&P or Moody’s. Dairyland has also received more than 4 times as many complaints as the average insurance company its size. Many complaints are about high premium prices and poor customer service.
The high number of complaints and lack of ratings from trusted organizations lost Dairyland quite a few points in this category.
Sample Dairyland Car Insurance Quotes
|Driver Profile||Average Quote|
|18-Year-Old||$327 / month|
|45-Year-Old||$99 / month|
|45-Year-Old with a Speeding Ticket||$123 / month|
|45-Year-Old with a DUI||$100 / month|
|55-Year-Old||$93 / month|
|65-Year-Old||$96 / month|
Dairyland received a score of 0/30 in the cost portion of this review, as its premiums rank in the bottom quartile among the car insurance providers that WalletHub evaluated. Learn more about WalletHub’s methodology.
Types of Dairyland Insurance
- Auto insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
Since Dairyland only offers personal auto and motorcycle insurance options, the company got a low score in this category. It does offer a discount for insuring multiple cars and/or motorcycles, however.
As an auto insurance provider, Dairyland offers all the major coverage options that are commonly required by states: bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, and uninsured/underinsured motorist. Collision and comprehensive coverage options are available as well.
Furthermore, you can enhance your insurance coverage with Dairyland’s supplemental coverage options.
Supplemental Dairyland Insurance Coverage Options:
- Towing & Labor: Covers the cost to tow your vehicle to a service center.
- Rental Reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental car if your vehicle has to be repaired after a covered accident.
- Lienholder: Pays, after a covered loss, repair costs for cosmetic damage to custom changes you’ve made to your vehicle.
- Special Equipment: Covers repair costs for damage to special equipment you’ve installed on your vehicle.
While you may be tempted to add all these supplemental coverage options immediately, it’s best to talk about any changes you want to make to your policy with a Dairyland representative. They will be able to help you make the best decision for your personal situation and budget. That goes for the specialty insurance options Dairyland offers as well.
Specialty Types of Dairyland Auto Insurance:
- Non-Owner Car Insurance for individuals who do not have a personal vehicle but still want protection if they’re driving someone else’s car.
- Motorcycle Insurance for individuals who need liability, collision, comprehensive, replacement cost, and other motorcycle coverage options.
Remember, Dairyland’s supplemental and specialty coverage options vary by state, and certain restrictions may apply.
Dairyland Insurance Discounts
- Multi-vehicle discount
- Advanced quote discount
- Transfer discount
- Payment frequency discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Homeowners discount
- Defensive driving discount
Dairyland offers more than a few decent discounts, but not nearly as many as some of its top competitors, so it got a low score in this category. Eligibility criteria for discounts vary by state.
Dairyland Insurance Claims
With Dairyland, customers must file claims by calling the company’s 24/7 claims support line (800-334-0090). Customers can’t file a claim online, so Dairyland lost points in this category, per the WalletHub grading criteria.
Dairyland Insurance Transparency
You can find most information on the Dairyland website quickly and easily, so it gets full marks in the transparency department. You can also call a live representative for a new quote or more information about an existing policy.
Representatives are available weekdays from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. CST, and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. For questions about auto coverage, call 888-290-3740. For questions about motorcycle coverage, call 866-239-6627.
Dairyland is a basic insurance company that only offers auto and motorcycle policies, and pretty expensive ones at that. It does provide coverage for high-risk drivers and customers with no driving history or prior insurance coverage, however.
Summary: Dairyland Scores by Review Category
|Customer Service & Reviews||15/30|
|Types of Insurance and Additional Service Offered||0/5|
Now that you’re familiar with Dairyland’s scores in each of our review categories, let’s see how the company compares to some top competitors in a handful of key areas. Hopefully, this will help you find the best insurance company for your needs.
Dairyland Car Insurance vs Competitors
|Average Annual Premium*||$1,695||$1,747||$1,805||$1,321|
|Number of Car Insurance Discounts||7||28||8||11|
|Offers Home Insurance||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Complaints Score (lower is best)||4.42||3.8||2.61||2.02|
*Average annual premiums are based on a variety of driver profiles. Individuals premiums may differ, but these rates illustrate how costs from these insurers typically compare. Learn more about how these rates were calculated in the methodology section below.
For more car insurance research, check out WalletHub’s Cheap Car Insurance Study. And if you have experience with Dairyland that you think might help other consumers, you can also write a Dairyland review.
In order to provide fair, helpful reviews of insurance companies such as Dairyland that can lead consumers to the best insurance coverage for their needs, WalletHub rates each insurance company in seven major categories: Cost, Insurance Types, Customer Service & Reviews, Discounts, Claims, Financial Stability and Transparency. Below, you can find an overview of what each section in our scoring rubric entails.
- The “Cost” section includes information about how expensive the insurance policies are. Dairyland 's average premiums and quartile rankings are based on data from Texas, one of the largest states Dairyland operates in. Rate information is provided by Quadrant Information Services. Individual rates will be different.
- The “Insurance Types” section examines what types of insurance policies the company offers.
- The “Customer Service & Reviews” section measures the insurance company’s reputation as well user reviews and information from watchdog organizations.
- The “Discounts” section examines how many and what types of discounts the company offers. It also takes into consideration whether or not there are discounts for bundling policies.
- The “Claims” section examines the ways in which customers can make claims with the policy. It considers whether or not customers can make claims by phone or online, as well as whether or not the company has a 24/7 support line.
- The “Financial Stability” section considers the company’s status with credit rating agencies A.M. Best, S&P and Moody’s.
- The “Transparency” section measures how clearly the insurer discloses key information on its website.
The final score takes these seven categories into account and reflects how close an insurance company is to WalletHub’s definition of a 5-star insurer. For more information, please read WalletHub’s full insurance company review methodology.