2020 Esurance Car Insurance Review
Esurance Review Summary: Esurance car insurance is designed for drivers who are not intimidated by the idea of shopping for, buying, and managing their auto policies completely online. With Esurance, the process of getting your insurance directly online is surprisingly painless thanks to the company’s straightforward, easy-to-use website.
Esurance has competitive rates, essential coverage options, and generous discounts. What more can you ask for? Some policyholders would say better customer service. But don’t let Esurance’s average customer service rating be a deal-breaker, as they make up for it with a highly-rated claims service process. Still, drivers who want a longer list of coverage options and a more personalized shopping experience might want to look elsewhere. Esurance is best for the self-sufficient, tech-savvy driver looking for a wallet-friendly rate.
Esurance is a subsidiary of Allstate, selling car insurance policies in 43 states – not including Alaska, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire, Vermont, or Wyoming. In the sections below, learn more about Esurance’s coverage options, discounts, and how they compare against their competitors.
Esurance Car Insurance Reviews & Ratings
- WalletHub: 4.2/5 (151 user reviews)
- Better Business Bureau: A- (not accredited)
- J.D. Power: 3/5
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC): In 2018, Esurance received a slightly higher number of complaints than other auto insurers of similar size.
Esurance makes up for their average customer service with highly-rated car rental and claims repair services. Customer complaints online generally target Esurance’s buggy website and uneven customer service. In terms of financial strength, Esurance is in excellent shape, having received an A+ (Superior) rating from A.M. Best.
Fun Fact: Actor Dennis Quaid (The Day After Tomorrow, Any Given Sunday, The Rookie) became the company’s official spokesperson in 2018.
Esurance Coverage Options
Esurance offers all the traditional coverage options that are commonly required in most states: liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage as well as coverage for collision damage, medical payments, uninsured/underinsured motorists, and personal injury protection. There’s also comprehensive coverage.
Esurance customers can also purchase additional coverage to enhance their auto policies with extra protections and benefits.
Supplemental Coverage Options from Esurance:
- Emergency Roadside Service: Covers the cost of towing, tire repairs, fuel delivery, jump-starts, and lockout services in the event that your car breaks down on the road. Esurance also offers roadside assistance via a per-use option as well.
- Rental Car Reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental car when your vehicle is in the repair shop due to an accident.
- CarMatch Rental Coverage®: Provides a higher coverage limit for car rentals: up to 45 days or $3,000, whichever comes first. This enhanced rental car reimbursement coverage is only available in 35 states.
- Loan-Lease Coverage: If you total your car completely in an accident, this benefit covers the difference between what your vehicle is actually worth and what is still owed on your car loan or lease. This coverage offers to pay up to 25% of your car’s actual cash value at the time of the accident. Coverage availability and details vary by state. In addition to offering traditional car insurance policies and add-ons, Esurance provides several types of specialty auto insurance.
Specialty Types of Auto Insurance from Farmers Insurance:
- Esurance Pay-Per-Mile Insurance for individuals who drive less than 10,000 miles per year and is looking for more affordable coverage. Monthly premiums are based on how much you drive.
- Esurance ShareSmart® Insurance for individuals who drive for a ridesharing company like Uber or Lyft and need to extend their personal auto insurance policies to keep them protected while on the job. This specialty insurance is currently only available in California.
- Mexican Car Insurance provides coverage for liability, medical payments, collision and more when you’re driving in Mexico. Esurance provides Mexico car insurance through a third-party provider, International Insurance Group.
- Collector or Classic Car Insurance for owners of antique vehicles looking to protect their investment. Esurance has partnered with a third-party provider, Hagerty, for this type of specialty auto insurance.
- Commercial Auto Insurance for individuals who want to keep their work equipment and employees protected on the road. Esurance has partnered with Commercial Insurance.NET to provide this type of specialty insurance.
Esurance also provides insurance policies for motorcycles, RVs, trailers, boats, scooters, ATVs, snowmobiles, Segways, and golf carts.
Availability and details of these specialty auto policies vary by state.
Sample Esurance Car Insurance Quotes
WalletHub collected sample Esurance quotes for a mix driver profiles that are fairly representative of drivers across the U.S.
|Age||Clean Driving Record||Poor Driving Record|
|21||$313 / month||$373 / month|
|30||$235 / month||$289 / month|
|42||$203 / month||$261 / month|
Learn more about how we obtained these sample quotes in the Methodology section at the end of the review.
- Fast 5®: 5% discount for requesting a quote online. The discount applies to your first-term premium.
- Multi-Policy: Discount for having multiple insurance policies with Esurance – for example, bundling your car and home insurance policies. The amount of the discount varies.
- Paid-in-Full: Up to 10% discount when you pay your entire policy premium upfront and in full.
- Switch & Save®: 5% discount for switching your car insurance to Esurance. Discount is only available during your first 2 policy periods.
- Claim-Free: Up to 25% discount when you remain claims-free and violations-free for at least 5 years.
- Homeowners: Discount for being a homeowner and an Esurance policyholder. The amount of the discount varies.
- Renters Plus®: 30% discount for bundling your car and renters insurance with Esurance.
- Emergency Roadside Assistance: Up to 5% discount for purchasing roadside assistance services outside of Esurance – for example, buying from AAA or the National Automobile Club.
- Pac-12: Up to 15% discount when you are an alum of a Pac-12 school.
- DriveSense®: 5% discount for simply signing up for Esurance’s driving monitoring program. Get an additional discount for practicing good driving habits. To qualify for DriveSense®, you must log at least 50 trips for each policy period. Drivers have to download the DriveSense mobile app to participate.
- Defensive Driver: Up to 10% discount for older drivers (age not specified) after they have completed a defensive driving course. The course cannot be court-mandated.
- Good Driver: Up to 40% discount for having a valid driver’s license for at least 3 years and having no more than one penalty point on your driving record.
- Good Student: Up to 10% discount for being a full-time student who maintains a “B” or better average. Only students who are under 25 years old are eligible.
- Multi-Car: Discount for insuring more than one vehicle on the same Esurance policy. The amount of the discount varies.
- Vehicle Safety: Up to 33% discount for having certain vehicle safety equipment on board, including anti-lock brakes, airbags, automatic seat belts, and an anti-theft device.
Eligibility criteria for discounts vary by state, and not all discounts are available in all states.
Esurance vs. GEICO, Allstate, Progressive
|Average Annual Premium||$3,213||$3,546||$4,949||$3,422|
|WalletHub Ranking (total of 46 companies)/td>||12th||21st||40th||17th|
|Complaints Score (lower is best)||1.05||0.84||0.88||0.70|
*Ratings are from JD Power’s 2019 automotive insurance surveys.
To determine Esurance car insurance’s rating, WalletHub’s editors reviewed the policies offered by the largest, most popular car insurance companies in the United States. In addition to weighing the relative strengths and weaknesses of each company, we evaluated several factors that are particularly important to consumers when shopping for car insurance.
- Customer service
- Claims servicing
- Coverage options & limits
- Customer satisfaction
- Watchdog ratings
To help readers get a sense of how satisfied customers are with Esurance and other auto insurers, WalletHub presents a complaints score for each company. This score is the ratio of each insurer’s share of all U.S. car insurance complaints over its share of annual premiums for personal auto policies. In other words, the complaints score tells us whether an insurer has received more complaints in a given year compared to other companies of similar size in the auto insurance industry.
Assumptions for Esurance Auto Insurance Quotes:
- Gender: Male
- Marital Status: Single
- State: California
- Car: Honda Accord
- Comprehensive Deductible: $250
- Collision Deductible: $500 (deductible waiver add-on included)
|Coverage Type||Coverage Limit|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (Bodily Injury)||$30,000/person
For price comparison, WalletHub collected quotes from major auto insurers for at least 30 cities in California. California was chosen because it is the most populous state in the U.S., and it lands in the middle of WalletHub’s price rankings for car insurance. For our sample quotes, we relied on data from the state insurance regulator’s database. We collected quotes for drivers varying in age and driving record, where a poor record assumes at least one at-fault accident or one traffic violation.
For more car insurance research, check out WalletHub’s 2019 Cheap Car Insurance Study. And if you have experience with Esurance auto insurance that you think might help other consumers, you can also write an Esurance review.
Was this article helpful?