- Extensive coverage options.
- Nationwide availability.
- Highly-rated claims service with online filing option.
- Discount for hybrid cars.
- Rideshare insurance.
- Complaints about high premiums.
- Average customer service.
- Not-so-user-friendly website.
Farmers Review Summary
Farmers is a solid insurance company overall, earning a rating of 3.0/5 from WalletHub and above-average scores from organizations such as J.D. Power. Farmers offers auto, homeowners, business, and life insurance policies, as well as coverage for pets, your health, recreational vehicles and more. The company is also a winner when it comes to supplemental coverage options.
In the sections below, learn more about Farmers’ coverage options, its top discounts, and how the company compares against popular competitors.
Summary: Farmers Scores by Review Category
|Farmers Quotes / Pricing||0/30|
|Customer Service & Reviews||20/30|
|Farmers Financial Stability||10/10|
|Farmers Claims Process||15/15|
|Farmers Types of Insurance and Additional Services Offered||5/5|
Now that you’re familiar with Farmers’ scores in each of our review categories, let’s see how the company compares to top competitors in a handful of key areas. Hopefully, this will help you find the best insurance company for your needs.
Farmers Car Insurance Pricing
Category Rating: 0% (0 out of 30)
|Driver Profile||Average Quote|
|18-Year-Old||$208 per month|
|21-Year-Old||$141 per month|
|45-Year-Old||$87 per month|
|45-Year-Old with a Speeding Ticket||$119 per month|
|45-Year-Old with DUI||$149 per month|
|55-Year-Old||$86 per month|
|65-Year-Old||$87 per month|
Farmers received a score of 0/30 in the cost portion of this review, as its premiums ranked in the bottom quartile among the cheapest major car insurance companies that WalletHub evaluated. Learn more about WalletHub’s Methodology.
Farmers Customer Service & Reviews
Category Rating: 80% (20 out of 30)
- Reviews on WalletHub: 3.5/5
- J.D. Power: 4.1/5
- NAIC: 0.73
- BBB: A
Farmers has a good NAIC rating, which indicates customer reviews are positive overall, but it doesn’t have a 24/7 customer support line like some of its competitors, so it didn’t get the highest score possible in this category.
Farmers’ Financial Stability
Category Rating: 100% (10 out of 10)
- AM Best: A
- Standard & Poor’s: A
- Moody’s: A2
Farmers is on solid financial footing, having earned A ratings from AM Best, Moody’s and S&P. It was also accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) in 1951.
Category Rating: 100% (15 out of 15)
Farmers lets customers file claims any time online. There’s also a 24/7 claims support line: 800-435-7746.
Farmers’ easy web-based claims process and 24/7 accessibility has earned it full marks in this category, per WalletHub’s grading criteria.
Learn more about Farmers' claims process.
Farmers’ Types of Insurance
Category Rating: 100% (5 out of 5)
- Auto insurance
- Accidental Death insurance
- ATV & Off-Road insurance
- Boat & Watercraft insurance
- Business insurance
- Collectible Auto insurance
- Commercial Auto insurance
- Commercial Property insurance
- Condo insurance
- Earthquake insurance
- Flood insurance
- General Liability insurance
- Homeowners insurance
- Landlord insurance
- Life insurance
- Mobile & Manufactured Home insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Renters insurance
- Rideshare insurance
- RV & Motor Home insurance
- RV insurance
- 5th Wheel insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Travel Trailer insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Universal Life insurance
- Vacant Homes insurance
- Vacation Homes insurance
- Whole Life insurance
- Workers’ Compensation insurance
Farmers’ many types of insurance options, as well as its discounts for bundling policies, earned the company the highest score possible in this category.
Furthermore, as an auto insurance provider, Farmers offers all the major coverage options you’d expect, including bodily injury liability, property damage liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist, collision, and comprehensive. Customers can also enhance their auto coverage with supplemental protections or specialty policies, which we’ll delve deeper into, here.
Supplemental Farmers Car Insurance Coverage Options:
- Emergency Road Service: Covers the cost of roadside emergency services such as towing, jump-starts, tire repairs, winching, and locksmith services.
- Rental Reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental vehicle if your car is in the repair shop due to an accident. This benefit also includes free pickup, rental car delivery, and an automatic deposit waiver. Customers must have comprehensive or collision coverage on their auto policies to purchase this add-on.
- Accident Forgiveness: Protects you from premium increases after an accident in which you are at fault. Farmers will forgive one accident for every 3 years that you are accident-free.
- New Car Replacement: Provides a replacement of the same make and model car if you total your new vehicle in an accident. To qualify, your vehicle can’t be more than 2 years old, and it can’t have more than 24,000 miles.
- Custom Equipment: Covers the cost of custom-installed equipment that has been damaged in an accident. Customers must have comprehensive and collision coverage to purchase this add-on.
- Original Equipment Manufacturer: Pays for the cost of repairs to the original (i.e. factory-installed) equipment/parts in your vehicle. To purchase this option, you must have collision and comprehensive coverage, and your car cannot be more than 10 years old.
- Personal Liability Umbrella: Increases the liability coverage limits on your personal auto policy.
- Loss of Use: Provides a flat-dollar amount to help cover the cost of a rental car or public transportation if your car becomes undriveable. Customers must have either comprehensive or collision coverage on their auto insurance policies to purchase this add-on.
- Glass Deductible Buy Back: Covers the cost to repair/replace a windshield or glass that’s damaged by a golf ball, rock or more, so you’ll never have to pay more than a $100 deductible.
Consumers should choose which coverage options to add, if any, with care. You don’t want to pay for extra coverage that you won’t use, realistically, or leave yourself underinsured. On that note, if you’re in need of a specialty car insurance policy, Farmers has those, too.
Specialty Farmers Car Insurance Policies:
- Farmers Rideshare Insurance for individuals driving for a rideshare company who wish to be protected on the road during every phase of the ridesharing experience – from login to pickup to drop-off. This specialty insurance is added to your existing personal auto policy.
- Farmers Classic & Collector Car Insurance for owners of antique vehicles who wish to purchase insurance to keep them protected.
- Farmers Commercial Car Insurance for individuals who operate a fleet of commercial vehicles or use their personal vehicles for business purposes. Farmers offers specialized coverage options for vehicles such as food trucks and utility trucks, too.
Farmers Insurance also provides policies for motorcycles, trailers, boats, ATVs, and motorhomes. The availability and details of these specialty policies vary by state.
Category Rating: 100% (5 out of 5)
- Multi-policy discount
- Multi-vehicle discount
- Signal® by Farmers discount
- Good student discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Youthful driver discount
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) discount
- Anti-lock brakes discount
- Homeowner discount
- Daytime running lights discount
- Homing device discount
- Passive restraint discount
- VIN etching discount
- Alternative fuel discount
- Affinity discount
- ePolicy discount
- Paid in full discount
- Safe driver discount
- Distant student discount
- Defensive driving discount
- Shared family car discount
- On your own discount
- Good payer
Farmers offers a long list of discounts to make its policies even more affordable. The availability of these discounts varies by state.
Learn more about Farmers Insurance discounts.
Category Rating: 100% (5 out of 5)
You can find all key information on the Farmers website quickly and easily, so it gets the highest score possible in the transparency department. You can also send the company messages online or call a live agent at 888-327-6355, Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. CST (8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekends). Kentucky residents should call 877-388-6628 instead.
Farmers is a solid insurance company overall, especially for customers who just want basic policies that don’t cost a fortune. Farmers offers auto and homeowners insurance policies, as well as coverage for boats, recreational vehicles, pets, businesses and more. The company received top scores for its solid claims process, generous discount options, and overall transparency. However, Farmers only earned an average score in the customer service category, and it does not offer a 24/7 customer support line like some of its industry peers.
Farmers Car Insurance vs Competitors
|Average Annual Premium*||$1,871 per year||$1,410 per year||$1,009 per year||$1,296 per year|
|Number of Car Insurance Discounts||23||16||17||13|
|Offers Home Insurance||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Complaints Score (lower is best)||0.73||1.18||1.23||1.45|
*Complaints Score represents the company's overall NAIC rating. Car insurance-specific rating may differ.
*Average annual premiums are based on a variety of driver profiles. Individuals premiums may differ, but these rates illustrate how costs from these insurers typically compare. Learn more about how these rates were calculated in the methodology section below.
For more car insurance research, check out WalletHub’s Cheap Car Insurance Study. And if you have experience with Farmers auto insurance that you think might help other consumers, you can also write a Farmers Insurance review.
Video: Farmers Insurance Review
In order to provide fair, helpful reviews of insurance companies such as Farmers that can lead consumers to the best insurance coverage for their needs, WalletHub rates each insurance company in seven major categories: Cost, Insurance Types, Customer Service & Reviews, Discounts, Claims, Financial Stability and Transparency. Below, you can find an overview of what each section in our scoring rubric entails.
- The “Cost” section includes information about how expensive the insurance policies are. Farmers’ average premiums and quartile rankings are based on data from California, the largest state Farmers operates in. Rate information is provided by Quadrant Information Services. Individual rates will be different.
- The “Insurance Types” section examines what types of insurance policies the company offers.
- The “Customer Service & Reviews” section measures the insurance company’s reputation as well user reviews and information from watchdog organizations.
- The “Discounts” section examines how many and what types of discounts the company offers. It also takes into consideration whether or not there are discounts for bundling policies.
- The “Claims” section examines the ways in which customers can make claims with the policy. It considers whether or not customers can make claims by phone or online, as well as whether or not the company has a 24/7 support line.
- The “Financial Stability” section considers the company’s status with credit rating agencies A.M. Best, S&P and Moody’s.
- The “Transparency” section measures how clearly the insurer discloses key information on its website.
The final score takes these seven categories into account and reflects how close an insurance company is to WalletHub’s definition of a 5-star insurer. For more information, please read WalletHub’s full insurance company methodology.