2019 Farmers Auto Insurance Review
Farmers Review Summary: Farmers auto insurance is a winner when it comes to coverage options and quality claims support. It receives especially high marks from customers in the areas of repairs and rental experience. Farmers is generous with discounts, too, offering savings for homeowners and for individuals who drive alternative fuel vehicles, among others. In terms of pricing, however, Farmers is pretty middle of the road, landing in 25th place (out of 46 insurers) in WalletHub’s ranking.
In the sections below, learn more about Farmers Insurance’s extensive coverage options, discounts, and how they compare against competitors like State Farm, GEICO, and Allstate.
Farmers Auto Insurance Reviews & Ratings
- WalletHub: 4.2/5 (155 user reviews)
- Better Business Bureau: A+ (accredited)
- J.D. Power: 3/5
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC): Farmers auto insurance received fewer complaints than other similarly-sized insurers in 2018.
Farmers auto insurance has received average ratings when it comes to overall customer satisfaction. The few complaints online take issue with Farmers’ relatively high premiums. In terms of financial strength, Farmers Insurance has received an A (Excellent) rating from A.M. Best, a nationally recognized credit rating agency for the insurance industry.
Fun Fact: Actor J.K. Simmons (Whiplash, Law & Order) is the star of Farmers Insurance TV advertisements, which also feature professional golfer Rickie Fowler.
Farmers Insurance Coverage Options
Farmers auto insurance has all the traditional coverage options that are typically required by states: bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, personal injury protection, uninsured/underinsured motorist, collision, and comprehensive.
Farmers customers can also choose to enhance their auto policies with additional coverage options that provide extra protections and benefits.
Additional Coverage Options from Farmers Insurance:
- New Car Replacement: Provides a replacement of the same make and model if you total your new vehicle in an accident. To qualify, your vehicle must not be older than two model years, and it cannot have more than 24,000 miles.
- Custom Equipment: Covers the cost of custom-installed equipment that has been damaged in the event of an accident. To purchase this option, policyholders must have comprehensive and collision coverage.
- Original Equipment Manufacturer: Pays for the cost of repairs to the original (i.e. factory-installed) equipment/parts in your vehicle. To purchase this option, you must have collision and comprehensive coverage, and your car cannot be more than 10 years old.
- Personal Liability Umbrella: Increases the liability coverage limits on your personal auto policy.
- Roadside Service: Covers the cost of roadside emergency services such as towing, jump-starts, tire repairs, winching, and locksmith services.
- Accident Forgiveness: Protects you from premium increases after an accident in which you are at fault. Farmers forgives one accident for every 3 years that you are accident-free.
- Loss of Use: Provides a flat-dollar amount to help you pay for a rental car or public transportation if your car becomes undriveable. To add this option, customers must have either comprehensive or collision coverage on their auto insurance policies.
- Rental Reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental vehicle if your car is in the repair shop due to an accident. This benefit also includes free pickup, rental car delivery, and an automatic deposit waiver. To purchase this option, customers must have comprehensive or collision coverage on their auto policies.
- Glass Buy-Back: Covers the cost of glass repair and replacement services. This add-on is subject to a $100 deductible.
Coverage availability and details vary by state.
Specialty Types of Auto Insurance from Farmers Insurance:
- Farmers Rideshare Insurance for individuals driving for a rideshare company who wish to be protected on the road during every phase of the ridesharing experience – from login to pickup to drop-off. This specialty insurance is added to your existing personal auto policy.
- Farmers Classic & Collector Car Insurance for owners of antique vehicles who wish to purchase insurance to keep them protected.
- Farmers Commercial Car Insurance for individuals who operate a fleet of commercial vehicles or use their personal vehicles for business purposes. Farmers also offers specialized coverage options for vehicles such as food trucks and utility trucks.
Availability and details of these specialty auto policies vary by state. Farmers Insurance also provides policies for motorcycles, trailers, boats, ATVs, and motorhomes.
Sample Farmers Auto Insurance Quotes
|Age||Clean Driving Record||Poor Driving Record|
|21||$359 / month||$502 / month|
|30||$271 / month||$377 / month|
|42||$226 / month||$317 / month|
Premiums vary by state and by the types of coverage you decide to purchase. Learn more about how we obtained these sample quotes in the Methodology section at the end of the review.
Farmers Insurance Discounts
- Multi-policy: Discount when you bundle your auto and home insurance policies with Farmers.
- Multi-car: Discount when you insure more than one vehicle with Farmers.
- Good Student: Discount for full-time students under the age of 25 who maintain good grades (typically “B” or better average).
- Alternative Fuel: 5% discount on all major coverage options if you drive a vehicle that uses alternative fuel (e.g., electric, natural gas, propane, etc.).
- Anti-Theft: Discount when your vehicle is equipped with an anti-theft device.
- Business/Professional Discount: Discount if you are a member of a qualifying organization.
- AutoPay & ePolicy: Discount for enrolling in AutoPay or opting to receive your policy documents electronically.
- Homeownership: Discount for simply being a homeowner. Amount of the discount varies.
- Paid in Full: Discount when you pay for your entire policy premium in one lump sum.
- Safe Driver: Discount for maintaining a clean driving record.
- Defensive Driving: Discount for older drivers (age not specified) who have taken a driver’s education course. Amount of the discount varies.
The availability, eligibility requirements, and amount of these discounts vary by state.
Farmers Insurance vs. State Farm, GEICO & Allstate
|Average Annual Premium||$3,835||$3,925||$3,546||$4,949|
|WalletHub Ranking (total of 46 companies)/td>||25th||26th||21st||40th|
|Complaints Score (lower is best)||0.61||0.59||0.84||0.88|
*Ratings are from JD Power’s 2019 automotive insurance surveys.
To assess the relative strengths and weaknesses of Farmers auto insurance, WalletHub’s editors reviewed policies offered by the largest, most popular auto insurers in America. WalletHub’s auto insurance rating for Farmers is based on several factors that are important to auto insurance shoppers.
- Customer reviews
- Customer service
- Claims process
- Coverage options
- Coverage limits
- Watchdog ratings
To give readers a better sense of customer satisfaction regarding Farmers auto insurance and other insurers, WalletHub provides a complaints score for each company. This score is the ratio of each insurer’s share of all U.S. car insurance complaints over its share of annual premiums for private passenger auto policies. In other words, the complaints score reflects the number of complaints adjusted to the size of the auto insurer. This adjustment is necessary because larger companies tend to receive more complaints.
Assumptions for Farmers Auto Insurance Quotes:
- Gender: Male
- Marital Status: Single
- State: California
- Car: Honda Accord
- Comprehensive Deductible: $250
- Collision Deductible: $500 (deductible waiver add-on included)
|Coverage Type||Coverage Limit|
|Bodily Injury||$100,000/person $300,000/accident|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (Bodily Injury)||$30,000/person $60,000/accident|
For price comparison, WalletHub collected quotes from all major auto insurers for at least 30 cities in California. We obtained quotes from the state regulator’s database for drivers varying in age and driving history. In the sample quotes above, a poor record assumes at least one at-fault accident or one traffic violation. California was chosen because it’s the most populous U.S. state, and it lands in the middle of WalletHub’s rankings for car insurance premiums.
For more car insurance research, check out WalletHub’s 2019 Cheap Car Insurance Study. And if you have experience with Farmers that you think might help other drivers, you can also write a Farmers auto insurance review.
Was this article helpful?