2019 Kemper Auto Insurance Review
Kemper Insurance Review Summary: Kemper auto insurance is a solid option for high-risk drivers who are looking for varied coverage choices and discounts. Drivers who require more attentive customer service may want to shop elsewhere, however, as Kemper auto insurance has received more complaints than other similar carriers.
Kemper insurance has several hard-to-find features when it comes to auto coverage options and discounts. They include childcare benefits, enhanced car seat replacement protection, and the married couple discount, among others. But Kemper auto policies can come with a hefty price tag, too. Kemper comes in 31st out of 46 companies in WalletHub’s car insurance price rankings.
Learn more about Kemper auto insurance in the sections below. You can also see how Kemper stacks up against popular competitors like GEICO, State Farm and Progressive.
Kemper Auto Insurance Reviews and Ratings
- WalletHub: 4.6/5 (11 user reviews)
- Business Bureau: A+ (not accredited)
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC): Kemper auto insurance received a higher number of consumer complaints in 2018 than other similarly sized auto insurers.
Customer service at Kemper auto insurance is a mixed bag of positive and negative experiences. While some customers have praised Kemper’s responsiveness after reporting an accident, there are others who have been unhappy with the quality of customer support. Online complaints generally targeted Kemper’s poor claims service, and many customers reported problems when attempting to cancel their auto insurance policies.
Kemper auto insurance is in good standing when it comes to financial strength. The company received an A- rating from A.M. Best, a nationally recognized credit rating agency for the insurance company.
Fun Fact: Kemper was the sponsor of the Kemper Open, a well-known golf tournament on the PGA tour, which had one of the highest purses in the 1970s. However, Kemper ended its sponsorship after the 2002 tournament.
Kemper Auto Insurance: Availability by State
Kemper sells auto insurance policies in 26 states:
Kemper Auto Insurance Coverage Options
Kemper auto insurance has all the basic coverage options to keep you and your vehicle protected on the road. These basic coverage options include liability for bodily injury and property damage, collision, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, personal injury protection, and medical payments.
Additionally, drivers also have the option to purchase several coverage enhancements to boost their level of protections and benefits.
Coverage Enhancement Options from Kemper Auto Insurance:
- Accident Forgiveness: Protects you from a premium increase after your first at-fault accident.
- Roadside Assistance: Covers the cost of roadside emergencies such as towing, fuel delivery, tire repairs, jump-starts, and lock out services.
- Trip Interruption: Pays up to $600 for lodging and transportation expenses if you are involved in an accident more than 100 miles from home.
- Enhanced Car Seat Replacement: Pays for the replacement cost of a child’s car seat if it is damaged in a car accident (car seats can generally cost anywhere from $50 to $600).
- Dependent Protection: Covers up to $1,000 in daycare costs if you are unable to look after your children after an accident. This coverage option also provides a $10,000 death benefit if an accident results in fatality.
- Pet Protection: Covers up to $2,000 in medical expenses for your pet if they are injured in an accident.
The details and availability of these coverage enhancements vary by state.
Sample Kemper Auto Insurance Quotes
|Age||Clean Driving Record||Poor Driving Record|
|21||$443 / month||$693 / month|
|30||$223 / month||$349 / month|
|42||$210 / month||$334 / month|
Premiums differ from state to state and will vary according to the level of coverage you select. Read more about how we collected these quotes in the Methodology section of this article.
Kemper Auto Insurance Discounts
- Retro Loyalty Discount™ when you switch your auto policy to Kemper. The amount of the discount depends on how long you were with your prior insurance carrier.
- Safe & Sound Discount® for being accident-free and violation-free over a 3-year period while maintaining at least 12 months of continuous coverage. To be eligible, there must be at least two drivers listed under your auto policy – one driver must be 18+ years of age.
- Multi-Policy Discount for bundling more than one type of insurance policy with Kemper (e.g., home, condo, etc.).
- Multi-Car Discount when you insure more than one vehicle with Kemper.
- Network Discount takes 10% off your policy for referring a friend to Kemper auto insurance. This discount will be in effect as long as you and your friend are Kemper auto policyholders and agree to take the Kemper safety pledge.
- Free-a-Tree® Discount for opting to sign and receive your policy documents electronically and for enrolling in autopay.
- Happily Married Discount for couples who are married or in a legally recognized domestic partnership (e.g., civil unions).
- Preferred Pay Discount™ for paying your policy premium ahead of time – the more you pay in advance, the more you save.
- Vehicle Safety Discount for having certain safety features on board such as airbags, anti-theft devices, and automatic seatbelts.
- Mature Driver Discount for drivers 55 years of age or older who have completed a defensive driving course.
Details and availability of these discounts vary by state. Kemper also offers several specialty insurance policies.
Specialty Vehicle Insurance from Kemper
In additional to personal auto insurance, Kemper also has commercial auto insurance for individuals or companies looking to protect their business vehicles. Kemper’s commercial policies are only available in Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.
On the recreational side, Kemper offers boat insurance to those who need liability coverage for their vessels and any related equipment or accessories.
Kemper Insurance vs. GEICO, State Farm, Progressive
|Average Annual Premium||$4,110||$3,546||$3,925||$3,424|
|Complaints Score (lower is best)||1.71||0.84||0.59||0.70|
|WalletHub Ranking (total of 46 companies)||31th||21st||26th||17th|
To weigh the relative strengths and weaknesses of Kemper auto insurance, WalletHub’s editors reviewed policies offered by the largest U.S. auto insurers. WalletHub’s auto insurance ratings are based on factors that are important to auto insurance shoppers.
- Customer reviews
- Watchdog ratings
- Coverage options
- Coverage limits
- Claims process
- Customer service
To help gauge the level of customer satisfaction with Kemper and other auto insurance companies, WalletHub calculates a complaints score for each insurer. This score is the ratio of each company’s share of all U.S. car insurance complaints over its share of annual premiums for private passenger auto policies. In other words, the complaints score helps us to see whether an auto insurance carrier has received fewer or more complaints compared to other similar sized companies in the industry.
Assumptions for Kemper Auto Insurance Quotes:
Marital Status: Single
Vehicle: Honda Accord
|Bodily Injury||$100,000/person $300,000/accident|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (Bodily Injury)||$30,000/person $60,000/accident|
|Comprehensive Deductible||$250 deductible|
|Collision deductible||$500 deductible (waiver add-on included)|
For price comparison, WalletHub collected quotes from major auto insurers for at least 30 cities in California. We obtained quotes for drivers varying in age and driving history from the state regulator’s database. For the sample quotes above, a good driving record assumes no accidents, while a poor record assumes at least one at-fault accident or one traffic violation. California was selected because it is the most populous state in the U.S., and it lands in the middle of WalletHub’s price rankings for car insurance.
For more car insurance research, check out WalletHub’s 2019 Cheap Car Insurance Study. If you have experience with Kemper auto insurance that you think might help other consumers, you can also write a Kemper insurance review.
Was this article helpful?