2020 Progressive Car Insurance Review
Progressive Review Summary: Progressive has a variety of low-cost car insurance options, even for people with young drivers on the policy, making it a serious contender in the industry. There are multiple savings opportunities available for people who practice safe driving, too. Progressive is so confident in its ability to offer the best car insurance rates online that it invites shoppers to compare their Progressive quotes against the competition through the company’s handy price comparison tool.
Progressive distinguishes itself from competitors through innovative technology and tools designed with safety and convenience in mind. For example, the Snapshot® device enables Progressive to collect driving data to better personalize insurance rates. This optional feature enables Progressive to reward safe driving. Another helpful innovation in Progressive’s arsenal is the Name Your Price® tool, which allows the insurer to offer a range of coverage options tailored to fit your budget.
In the sections below, you can learn more about Progressive’s auto insurance offerings, how they fare against top competitors like GEICO and State Farm, and what they can do better for customers.
Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews & Ratings
- WalletHub: 4 / 5 (263 user reviews)
- Better Business Bureau: A- rating (not accredited)
- J.D. Power: 3 / 5
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners: The number of complaints for Progressive in 2018 is less than the national median for the auto insurance industry.
Compared to other major auto insurance companies, Progressive has received relatively low marks when it comes to customer service. Many of the negative Progressive reviews posted online criticize the company for poor claims support and unexplained premium increases. In terms of financial strength, Progressive is in good standing according to leading credit rating agencies such as A.M. Best, Standard and Poor, and Moody’s Investors Services.
Progressive has previously been accused of deceptive trade practices by a coalition of auto repair shops. The coalition alleged that the insurer had used unlicensed shops for auto repairs and illegally steering customers to its own network of preferred repair shops for the sake of cutting costs on claims. Progressive also had to settle a high-profile case in 2012, in which the company was accused of mishandling an underinsured motorist claim, which opened them to a great deal of public criticism.
Key Progressive Car Insurance Stats:
|Number of Auto Policies in Force||13 million|
|Number of Discounts Offered||13|
|Average Annual Customer Savings*||$699|
*Source: 2018 Progressive new customers survey
Fun Fact: In 1997, Progressive became the first auto insurance company to sell policies online in real time.
Progressive Auto Insurance Coverage Options
Progressive auto insurance provides all major coverage options to protect you and your vehicle from injury, damage, and loss resulting from an accident. The options include coverage for bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, comprehensive, collision, and uninsured/underinsured motorist. The auto insurer also offers several extra coverage options and benefits programs to give customers some added protections.
Extra Coverage Options from Progressive:
- Roadside Assistance: Covers towing costs, lock-out services, flat-tire repairs, and fuel delivery.
- Loan-Lease Payoff: Covers the difference between what your car is worth at the time of an accident and what you still owe on your vehicle.
- Rental Car Reimbursement: Covers rental car expenses while your vehicle is being repaired due to an accident.
- Pet Injury Coverage: Covers pet injuries resulting from a car accident; this benefit is part of your collision coverage, so it’s free of charge.
- Custom Parts & Equipment Value Coverage: Pays for repairs or replacements for car accessories that are custom-installed (e.g., stereos, custom rims, etc.).
- Rideshare Coverage: Extends your auto policy to protect you and your vehicle while you are driving for a ridesharing company.
- Deductible Savings Bank: Helps reduce your collision and comprehensive deductibles by $50 each for every six months that you are claim-free. The savings continue until you get down to $0.
Specialty Types of Progressive Auto Insurance:
- Progressive Commercial Auto Insurance for individuals who use their vehicles for business, including SUVs, tow trucks, food trucks, and more.
- Progressive Classic Car Insurance for individuals who own antique or collector vehicles – the insurance policy is provided by a third-party insurer (Hagerty).
- Progressive Mexico Auto Insurance for individuals who plan to drive in Mexico. There are three coverage options – basic, standard, and extended. This policy is offered by a third-party insurer (MexPro).
Progressive can also help provide peace of mind when you want to walk on the wild side, offering insurance policies for motorcycles, boats, trailers, all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, and more.
Sample Progressive Insurance Quotes
WalletHub editors have obtained sample quotes based on six general driver profiles, which are fairly representative of drivers across the U.S. Premiums may vary by state, however, as well as the level of car insurance coverage you decide to purchase.
|Sample Age||Clean Driving Record||Poor Driving Record|
|21||$344 / month||$573 / month|
|30||$192 / month||$317 / month|
|42||$176 / month||$295 / month|
Learn more about how we obtained these sample quotes in the Methodology section at the end of this article.
Progressive offers two pricing tools to help auto insurance shoppers find the best rates online.
- Progressive Name Your Price® Tool allows you to input your preferred rate and then receive a range of options that fit their budget.
- Progressive Price Compare Tool allows you to easily compare Progressive’s quotes against those from other major auto insurance providers.
- Multi-policy: 5% discount on average when you hold two or more policies with Progressive.
- Multi-car: 10% discount on average when you have more than one vehicle covered in your policy.
- Snapshot® program: $130 discount on average when you use Snapshot®, a device that tracks your driving habits. The safer you drive, the more you save. You can either download the tracker via a mobile app or use a plug-in device.
- Safe driver: 31% discount on average if you are free of accidents and traffic violations for three consecutive years.
- Sign online: Discount of roughly 8% for choosing to sign your documents online.
- Online quote: 7% discount on average for starting a quote and buying online.
- Homeowner: Discount of roughly 10% for being a homeowner – you do not need to have a homeowner’s policy with Progressive to enjoy this discount.
- Go paperless: Discount simply for opting to receive your policy-related documents via email. The amount of the discount varies.
- Continuous insurance: Discount for maintaining continuous car insurance coverage, even if you were previously insured by another company. The amount of the discount varies.
- Pay in full: Discount for paying your six-month policy upfront. The amount of the discount varies.
- Automatic payment: Discount when you set up automatic payments from a checking account. The amount of the discount varies.
- Teen driver: Discount for adding a teen driver (18 years old or younger) to your policy. The amount of the discount varies.
- Good grades: Discount when a student on your policy maintains a “B” or better average. The amount of the discount varies.
- Away at college: Discount when you have a college student on your policy, living more than 100 miles away and is 22 years old or younger. The amount of the discount varies.
In addition to these discounts, some of which may not be available in all states, Progressive’s accident forgiveness benefit can deliver even more savings. For small accidents, Progressive promises not to raise your rates for a claim of less than $500. For those who have been with Progressive for at least five years and have had no accidents in the past three years, Progressive promises not to increase your rate if you have an accident.
Progressive Car Insurance vs. Popular Alternatives
|Average Annual Premium||$3,422||$3,546||$3,925||$4,949|
|Complaints Score (lower is best)||0.70||0.84||0.59||0.88|
*Customer satisfaction ratings are from JD Power’s 2019 automotive insurance surveys.
To determine Progressive’s ranking in the auto insurance industry, WalletHub’s editors reviewed the policies offered by the largest, most popular car insurance companies in the United States. We evaluated the relative strengths and weaknesses of each company, along with the types of drivers each is best positioned to serve.
More specifically, WalletHub’s Progressive car insurance rating is based on a combination of factors, which research has shown to be particularly important for car insurance shoppers.
- Customer reviews
- Watchdog ratings
- Coverage options
- Coverage limits
- Claims process
- Customer service
To take the temperature of car insurance customers from Progressive and other companies, WalletHub calculates a complaints score for each insurer. This score is the ratio of each insurer’s share of all U.S. car insurance complaints over the insurer’s share of annual premiums for private passenger auto policies. Put another way, the complaints score reflects the number of complaints adjusted to the size of the auto insurer. The adjustment is necessary, as larger companies generally receive more complaints.
Assumptions for Progressive Car Insurance Quotes:
Marital Status: Single
Car: Honda Accord
Comprehensive Deductible: $250
Collision Deductible: $500
Collision Deductible Waiver Add-on: Included
|Coverage Type||Coverage Limit|
|Bodily Injury||$100,000/person - $300,000/accident|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (Bodily Injury)||$30,000/person - $60,000/accident|
To determine and compare the cost of Progressive auto insurance, WalletHub collected quotes from all major auto insurers for at least 30 cities in California. We also obtained quotes for a variety of driver profiles from the state regulator’s database, including profiles with different ages and driving records. A good driving record assumes no accidents. A poor record assumes at least one at-fault accident or one traffic violation. By receiving quotes for multiple driver profiles, WalletHub ensured a diverse sample. California was chosen given that it is the most populous state in the U.S. (12% of total population), and it lands in the middle of the price rankings in WalletHub’s 2019 Cheap Car Insurance Study.
For more car insurance research, check out WalletHub’s 2019 Cheap Car Insurance Study. And if you have experience with Progressive car insurance that you think might help other consumers, you can also write a Progressive review. .
Was this article helpful?