Safeco Auto Insurance Review
Safeco Review Summary: Safeco auto insurance features a solid list of coverage options and discounts. But if you’re looking for top-notch customer service and really competitive rates, you may want to shop elsewhere. Safeco also is not for drivers who want minimal human interaction when shopping for and managing an auto insurance policy. Although you can get a free quote online, prospective customers will have to contact a local agent to verify coverage and discount details in order to complete their purchase.
Safeco does not have the most competitive car insurance rates in the industry, either. Safeco auto insurance ranks 23rd out of the 46 major companies in WalletHub’s price comparison.
In the sections below, you can learn more about Safeco’s auto insurance policy offerings, including areas where they can improve and how they stack up against top competitors.
Safeco Auto Insurance Reviews & Ratings
- WalletHub: 2.3/5 (115 user reviews).
- J.D. Power: 4/5
- Better Business Bureau: A- rating (accredited)
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC): The number of complaints for Safeco was higher than the national median for the auto insurance industry in 2018
Online ratings for Safeco Insurance are below average due to frequent complaints about poor customer support, unresponsive claims service, and high rates. And though Safeco’s financial strength has earned an A (Excellent) rating from A.M. Best, it is not as strong as their major competitors in the auto industry.
Fun Fact: Safeco Insurance has a grant program that awards funds to nonprofits focused on improving educational opportunities for underprivileged youth as well as the quality of life for the homeless and individuals with disabilities.
Safeco Auto Insurance Coverage Options
Safeco car insurance is available nationwide, offering all major coverage options that are typically required by state laws: bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, personal injury, uninsured/underinsured motorist, collision, and comprehensive.
Consumers can top off their policies with the additional coverage options described below, which provide enhanced protections and benefits. Of note, Safeco attempts to distinguish itself from the competition by including a first aid reimbursement benefit with all auto policies, which provides up to $10,000 for the administration of aid after a car accident.
Safeco’s Extra Coverage Options & Protections:
- Accident Forgiveness: Policyholders are eligible for accident forgiveness after being accident-free and violation-free for a certain number of years. Eligibility criteria vary – customers can find out more through their local independent agent.
- Roadside Assistance: Covers the cost of towing, flat-tire repairs, fuel delivery, jump starts, and locksmith services.
- Emergency Assistance Package: This is an upgrade to the basic roadside assistance feature, which provides additional benefits if you are in an accident more than 25 miles from home. For instance, the coverage will pay for meals, hotel, and transportation ($500 limit) and other expenses ($100 limit). This upgrade also covers any damage to or loss of personal items during the accident.
- Rental Car Reimbursement: Pays for the cost of a rental if your vehicle is being repaired due to an accident; this coverage also comes with the Safeco Claims Valet Service, where a claims valet will deliver your rental to you and take your damaged vehicle to the shop.
- Loan and Lease Coverage: Provides gap insurance to cover the difference between the actual value of your vehicle and the remaining amount of your car loan/lease.
- Electronic Key and Lock Replacement: Covers replacement costs at no extra charge.
- Audio-Visual and Custom Equipment Coverage: Covers any custom-installed equipment in your vehicle. Safeco also offers a separate CD/DVD replacement coverage, which will pay for any damaged or stolen media disks.
- New Car Replacement™: If you completely total your new vehicle (less than one year old), Safeco will pay for a replacement.
- Personal Property: Covers the cost of personal items that are damaged in an accident or stolen from your vehicle.
- Pet Protection: Covers veterinary expenses if your pet is injured in an accident.
- Ridesharing Coverage: Protects you and your vehicle if you drive for a ridesharing company. This coverage is an add-on to your personal auto policy and is available in only 13 states: Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, and Wisconsin.
Eligibility criteria for these coverages may vary – customers must check with their local independent agent to get more details.
Specialty Types of Safeco Auto Insurance:
Safeco offers insurance policies for classic and collector cars with discounts for installing anti-theft devices, keeping the vehicle in storage, driving fewer than 5,000 miles per year, and more.
In addition to covering cars, Safeco sells insurance policies for leisure vehicles, including motorcycles, boats, trailers, recreational vehicles, golf carts, snowmobiles, and ATVs. Safeco does not provide commercial auto insurance. For that, you must look to its parent company, Liberty Mutual.
Sample Safeco Auto Insurance Quotes
|Age||Clean Driving Record||Poor Driving Record|
|21||$334 / month||$420 / month|
|30||$246 / month||$342 / month|
|42||$228 / month||$340 / month|
Premiums may vary by state and level of coverage purchased. Learn more about how we obtained these sample quotes in the Methodology section at the end of the review.
Top Safeco Discounts
- Diminishing Deductible: Safe drivers may be eligible for the diminishing deductible benefit if they do not file a claim during the policy period (savings of up to $500 over the course of 5 years).
- Accident Forgiveness: Safeco will not increase your rate after the first accident on your policy – if you have been accident-free and violation-free for a certain number of years.
- Accident Prevention: Discount for senior drivers (typically 55 years of age or older) who have taken an accident prevention course.
- Low Usage: Up to 20% discount for low-mileage use of your vehicle.
- Safety Features: Discount for having an anti-theft system and anti-lock brakes on your vehicle.
- Pay in Full: Discount for paying your annual premium in full at the start of your policy period.
- Home and Auto Bundle: Up to 15% discount when you buy home and auto policies from Safeco. Safeco also offers a discount when you insure multiple vehicles with them. Customers who are homeowners may also be eligible for additional savings.
- Teen Safety Rewards™: This package of discounts is designed for young drivers. There are savings for those who maintain a “B” (or better) average in school, complete a driver training course, or live more than 100 miles from home without a car. “Newly independent” drivers who purchase an individual Safeco auto policy after moving off their parents’ accounts will also receive a discount. And parents who add a teenage driver to their policy after having been with Safeco for more than a year can enjoy a discount of up to 27%.
- Safeco RightTrack®: Up to 30% discount when you enroll your teenage driver in Safeco’s driving monitoring program. Safeco also provides a small discount simply for participating. Participants can either download a mobile app or use a plug-in device for the program.
Discounts may not be available in all states.
Safeco vs. Popular Alternatives
|Average Annual Premium||$3,562||$3,546||$4,949||$3,422|
|WalletHub Ranking (total of 46 companies)||23rd||21st||40th||17th|
|Complaints Score (lower is best) (lower is best)||0.95||0.84||0.88||0.70|
*Source: 2019 J.D. Power Insurance Shopping Study
In order to determine Safeco car insurance’s ranking in the auto insurance industry, WalletHub’s editors reviewed the policies offered by the largest, most popular car insurance companies in the United States. We evaluated the relative strengths and weaknesses of each company, along with the types of drivers each is best positioned to serve.
More specifically, WalletHub’s Safeco car insurance rating is based on a combination of factors, which research has shown to be particularly important for car insurance shoppers.
- Customer reviews
- Watchdog ratings
- Coverage options
- Coverage limits
- Claims process
- Customer service
To help gauge the level of customer satisfaction with Safeco and other companies, WalletHub calculates a complaints score for each insurer. This score is the ratio of each insurer’s share of all U.S. car insurance complaints over the insurer’s share of annual premiums for private passenger auto policies. In other words, the complaints score reflects the number of complaints adjusted to the size of the auto insurer.
Assumptions for Safeco Auto Insurance Quotes:
Car: Honda Accord
Marital Status: Single
Comprehensive Deductible: $250
Collision Deductible: $500 (waiver add-on included)
|Coverage Type||Coverage Limit|
|Bodily Injury||$100,000/person $300,000/accident|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (Bodily Injury)||$30,000/person $60,000/accident|
For price comparison, WalletHub collected quotes from all major auto insurers for at least 30 cities in California. We obtained quotes from the state regulator’s database for drivers varying in age and driving record. In the sample quotes, a poor record assumes at least one at-fault accident or one traffic violation. California was chosen given that it is the most populous state in the U.S. (12% of total population), and it lands in the middle of WalletHub’s price rankings.
For more car insurance research, check out WalletHub’s 2019 Cheap Car Insurance Study. And if you have experience with Safeco car insurance that you think might help other consumers, you can also write a Safeco car insurance review.
Was this article helpful?