The General offers nine discounts for auto insurance customers, including a defensive driver discount, a good student discount, and a multi-car discount. The General does not disclose how much customers can save by taking advantage of discounts, but many companies do advertise comparable discounts of 20-30%.
The General Discounts List
- Multi-car discount: save for insuring more than one car on the same policy.
- Homeowner's discount: save if you own your home instead of renting.
- Previous insurance discount: save for maintaining car insurance consistently, without any gaps in coverage.
- Good student discount: save if you have at least a "B" average and meet additional eligibility criteria set by your agent
- Passive restraint discount: save for having factory-installed passive restraint devices like motorized seatbelts.
- Defensive driver discount: save for taking an approved defensive driving course.
- Pay in full discount: save for paying your entire premium upfront.
- Safe Driver discount: save if you have had 3-5 years of a clean driving discount.
- Double deductible discount: in some states, save on your premium if you allow your comprehensive and collision deductibles to be doubled for the first 45 days of your policy.
Discount availability may vary by state, but it’s always worth checking with The General customer service to see what you can qualify for. You can call The General at 1 (844) 328-0306 to ask about the discounts applied to your policy.