2019 Travelers Auto Insurance Review
Travelers Review Summary: Travelers auto insurance impresses with an extensive list of discounts and strong coverage options. Travelers is one of the few auto insurance companies that provide accident and violation forgiveness every three years as well as a policy discount for hybrid vehicles. However, an auto policy from Travelers can have a pretty high price tag. The company’s auto premiums come in at 28th place in WalletHub’s ranking.
All in all, Travelers auto insurance is a decent choice for drivers who prefer to purchase and bundle insurance policies from a company with a well established history in the industry.
In the sections below, learn more about Travelers’ special coverage options, unique discounts, and how they compare against competitors like GEICO and Progressive.
Travelers Auto Insurance Reviews & Ratings
- WalletHub: 3.5/5 (84 user reviews).
- Better Business Bureau: A+ (accredited)
- J.D. Power: 3/5
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC): In 2018, Travelers auto insurance received fewer complaints than other similar sized insurers in the industry.
- A.M. Best: A++ (Superior) rating from this leading U.S. credit rating agency for the insurance industry.
Travelers auto insurance has earned average ratings for overall customer satisfaction and claims servicing. Customer complaints against Travelers posted online focus predominately on the insurer’s high premiums for both new polices and renewals.
Fun Fact: Travelers has been on Fortune magazine’s list of the World’s Most Admired Companies from 2006 to 2019.
Travelers Auto Insurance Coverage Options
Travelers auto insurance offers all the major coverage options that are commonly required in most states. They include coverage for bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, personal injury protection, uninsured/underinsured motorists, and collisions, along with comprehensive coverage.
Drivers can also purchase supplemental coverage to receive additional protections and benefits.
Additional Coverage Options from Travelers Insurance:
- Responsible Driver Plan: Provides accident forgiveness and minor-violation forgiveness. These two benefits protect you from a premium increase after your first accident or minor traffic violation following a prolonged period of responsible driving. Travelers auto insurance forgives one accident and one violation every 3 years.
Premier Responsible Driver Plan®: Includes all the benefits of the basic Responsible Driver Plan but adds the Decreasing Deductible® feature. Decreasing Deductible can help you earn a deductible credit of up $50 for every 6 months that you avoid an accident or major traffic violation. Each customer can save up to $500 with this benefit.
This premier upgrade also includes the Total Loss Deductible Waiver, which waives your deductible payment if you total your car.
- Loan-Lease Coverage: In the event of a total loss after an accident, this coverage pays for the different between the cash value of your car and what is still owed on your car loan/lease.
- Rental Coverage: Covers the cost of a rental car in the event that your vehicle is in the repair shop due to an accident. To purchase this add-on, policyholders must have either comprehensive or collision coverage.
- Roadside Assistance: Pays for the cost of emergency roadside services such as jump-starts, fuel delivery, towing, tire repairs, and lockout assistance. Policyholders can also choose to upgrade to the Premier Roadside Assistance® option for enhanced benefits, including towing service of up to 100 miles, trip protection, personal property coverage (up to $500).
- Premier New Car Replacement®: Provides a new car of the same make and model if you total your new vehicle in the first five years of ownership. This coverage also automatically comes with loan-lease coverage and glass protection.
Coverage availability and details vary by state. Travelers auto insurance sells policies in 42 states and the District of Columbia. The states where you cannot get Travelers auto insurance are Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, Michigan, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia and Wyoming.
Specialty Types of Auto Insurance from Travelers Insurance:
- Travelers Ridesharing Insurance is a policy add-on for individuals who live in Colorado or Illinois and drive for a ridesharing company.
- Travelers Commercial Truck & Auto Insurance protects vehicles owned by businesses and the employees who drive them.
- Travelers Collector Car Insurance is for vehicles that are at least 25 years old and used for business purposes. To qualify, policyholders must generate at least half of their business revenue from the collector vehicle(s). This specialty policy is offered under Travelers’ business insurance division through a third-party provider, Hagerty.
Travelers also offers insurance policies for boats and yachts. Details and availability of all these specialty auto policies vary by state.
Sample Travelers Auto Insurance Quotes
|Age||Clean Driving Record||Poor Driving Record|
|21||$393 / month||$625 / month|
|30||$243 / month||$397 / month|
|42||$217 / month||$352 / month|
Learn more about how we obtained these sample quotes in the Methodology section at the end of the review. Premiums may vary by state as well as the level of car insurance coverage you decide to purchase.
Travelers Insurance Discounts
- IntelliDrive®: Up to 20% discount for participating in Travelers’ driving monitoring program, which uses a mobile app to track your driving habits. The program rewards safe driving but can lead to higher premiums for those with riskier habits on the road.
- Multi-car: Up to 8% discount if you insure more than one vehicle under your auto policy.
- Homeownership: Up to 5% discount for simply being a homeowner, even if you do not have a homeowners insurance policy with Travelers.
- Safe Driving: Up to 23% discount when you remain accident-free and violation-free for the past 5 years.
- Continuous Insurance: Up to 15% discount for maintaining continuous coverage (i.e. no lapse in coverage).
- Electric Vehicle: Discount for driving a hybrid car. The amount of the discount varies.
- New Car: Up to 10% discount for purchasing or owning a new vehicle (less than 3 years old).
- Paid in Full & AutoPay: Up to 7.5% discount for paying your annual premium upfront and in full. Policyholders can save an additional 2% for setting up autopay.
- Good Payer: Up to 15% discount for consistently paying your bills on time.
- Early Quote: Up to 10% discount for getting a new quote from Travelers before your current auto policy expires.
- Good Student: 8% discount for high school or college students maintaining a “B” or better average.
- Away at School: 7% discount if a student driver on your policy is going to school more than 100 miles away from home and does not have access to your car(s).
- Driver Training: Up to 8% discount for completing a driver education course.
- Affinity Group: Discount (amount varies) for being a member of a qualifying organization.
Eligibility criteria for discounts vary by state, and not all discounts are available in all states.
MetLife vs. GEICO, State Farm & Allstate
|Average Annual Premium||$3,989||$3,546||$3,422|
|WalletHub Ranking (total of 46 companies)||28th||21st||17th|
|Complaints Score (lower is best)||0.70||0.84||0.70|
*Ratings are from JD Power’s 2019 automotive insurance surveys.
In order to assess the relative strengths and weaknesses of Travelers auto insurance, WalletHub’s editors reviewed policies offered by the largest, most popular auto insurers in America. WalletHub’s auto insurance rating for Travelers is based on several factors that are important to consumers when shopping for car insurance.
- Customer reviews
- Watchdog ratings
- Coverage options
- Coverage limits
- Claims process
- Customer service
To get a better sense of customer satisfaction with Travelers auto insurance and other insurers, WalletHub calculates a complaints score for each company. This score is the ratio of each insurer’s share of all U.S. car insurance complaints over its share of annual premiums for personal auto policies. Put another way, the complaints score reflects the number of complaints adjusted to the size of the auto insurer. This adjustment is necessary because larger companies tend to receive more complaints.
- Gender: Male
- Marital Status: Single
- State: California
- Car: Honda Accord
- Comprehensive Deductible: $250
- Collision Deductible: $500 (deductible waiver add-on included)
|Coverage Type||Coverage Limit|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist - Bodily Injury||$30,000/person
For price comparison, we collected quotes from major auto insurers in at least 30 cities in California. We obtained quotes for a variety of driver profiles from the state regulator’s database. These profiles vary in age and driving records, where a good record assumes no accidents and a poor record assumes at least one at-fault accident or traffic violation. California was chosen because it is the most populous U.S. state, and it lands in the middle of WalletHub’s price rankings for car insurance.
For more car insurance research, check out WalletHub’s 2019 Cheap Car Insurance Study. And if you have experience with Travelers car insurance that you think might help other drivers, you can also write a Travelers review.
Was this article helpful?