HawaiianMiles Review Summary
The Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles program is the 5th best frequent flyer program for 2021, according to WalletHub’s review. Some of the biggest strengths of the program include miles worth an average of 1.24 cents apiece, relatively low fees, and numerous ways to earn miles.
Below, you can learn all the ins and outs of the HawaiianMiles program, from how to earn and redeem miles to what the different status levels offer. You can also see how HawaiianMiles compares to other popular frequent flyer programs.
HawaiianMiles Review Scorecard
#5 for Earning Policies
#2 for Rewards Value
#2 for Redemption Policies
#10 for Destination Coverage
#2 for Other Features
|Hawaiian Airlines Miles Needed for a Free Flight:||Min: 7,500 |
|Average Hawaiian Airlines Mile Value:||1 mile= 1.24 cents |
1,000 miles= $12.4
|SkyMiles Airline Partners:||6, including: |
JetBlue, Japan Airlines and Virgin Atlantic
How to Earn Hawaiian Airlines Miles
Category Rating: 10/15
HawaiianMiles members earn miles for making purchases through Hawaiian Airlines and its partners. Below is a list of the types of transactions that accrue miles, as well as the amount they award.
Transactions That Earn Hawaiian Airlines Miles
- 1 Hawaiian Airlines mile per mile flown: Hawaiian Airlines flights and flights on partner airlines
- 1 - 3 Hawaiian Airlines miles per $1 spent: Purchases on a Hawaiian Airlines credit card
- 1 - 2 Hawaiian Airlines miles per $1 spent: Stays at Castle Resorts and Marriott
- Up to 1,000 Hawaiian Airlines miles per stay: Stays at hotel partners like Alohilani Resort, Ambassador Hotel, Kaanapali Beach Club, The Modern Honolulu, Pearl Hotel and The Point
- Up to 10,000 Hawaiian Airlines miles per stay: Hotel stays booked through PointsHound
- 200 - 500 Hawaiian Airlines miles per stay: Stays at Outrigger Hotels (200 miles) and Tokyo Hotels (500 miles)
- 250 - 700 Hawaiian Airlines miles per rental: Car rentals from Avis, Payless and Budget
- 1 Hawaiian Airlines mile per $1 spent: Hawaiian Airlines Cruise Vacations
- 1+ Hawaiian Airlines miles per $1 spent: Purchases through hundreds of merchant partners
In addition, you may be able to get special deals on Hawaiian Airlines flights on the airline’s website. These deals might let you redeem fewer miles than usual for an award booking or earn more than usual on a regular booking.
Other Key Things to Know About Earning Hawaiian Airlines Miles
Earning limitations: Hawaiian Airlines does not specify a maximum number of miles you can earn per ticket.
Retroactive flight credit for members: HawaiianMiles members can get credited for miles from any Hawaiian Airlines flight taken in the past 4 months if their frequent flyer number was not on the reservation (as long as they were a member at the time).
Retroactive flight credit for non-members: New HawaiianMiles members can get miles for flights taken up to 4 months before they became a member.
How Much Are Hawaiian Airlines Miles Worth?
Category Rating: 17/20
Hawaiian Airlines miles are worth 1.24 cents each, on average, according to WalletHub’s research. That means you need about 18,000 Hawaiian miles to get a free flight, based on the average domestic fare of $245.
Below, you can check out how many Hawaiian miles you’ll need for some popular round-trip routes, on average.
- New York to Honolulu: 80,601 miles (or $1,000.26)
- Los Angeles to Honolulu: 43,045 miles (or $534.19)
- Seattle to Honolulu: 49,068 miles (or $608.94)
How to Redeem Hawaiian Airlines Miles
Category Rating: 19/20
|Redemption Method||More Info|
|Flights||Get flights with Hawaiian Airlines and its partner airlines like JetBlue, Japan Airlines and Virgin Atlantic|
|Upgrade your class on Hawaiian Airlines flights|
|Get Avis and Budget gift certificates|
|Trade miles for subscriptions to various magazines and newspapers|
|Donate your miles to organizations like the American Cancer Society, the Coral Reef Alliance and the Hawaiian Humane Society|
Other Key Things to Know About Redeeming Hawaiian Airlines Miles
- There are no booking blackout dates.
- You can book a flight with miles up to 331 days before departure.
- There is no short-notice booking fee.
- Hawaiian Airlines allows one stopover on one-way reward flights, and two on round trips.
- There is no award-ticket redeposit/cancellation fee.
Other Features of the HawaiianMiles Program
Category Rating: 12/20
The Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles rewards program is free to join, but you won’t receive any benefits from it other than earning miles until you qualify for one of its “Elite” levels. Qualification for HawaiianMiles “Elite” status is based on:
- Miles traveled
- Segments flown (number of flights taken)
The more times you fly with Hawaiian Airlines, the higher your status level can go. The higher your HawaiianMiles status level is, the more benefits you will receive on Hawaiian Airlines flights and the more you will save when you fly. You can also get perks by simply paying $299 for an annual HawaiianMiles Premier Club membership.
Below, you can see exactly what you’ll need to do to achieve and maintain each HawaiianMiles Elite status level, along with the perks that come with it.
|HawaiianMiles Levels||How to Qualify||Miles Bonus||Other Notable Perks|
|Basic member||Join the program for free||N/A||Earn 1 Hawaiian Airlines mile per mile flown|
|Premier Club||Annual fee of $299 or 40,000 miles||N/A||Basic member benefits|
More seats available for selection at time of booking
Discounted awards when booking online
Priority routing & handling with Exclusive Reservations Line
Premier Club lounge access - Honolulu, Hilo, Kona, Kahului, Lihue (member + 2 guests)
Priority TSA security lines, when available
Priority baggage handling
Two free checked bags
Earn 500 HawaiianMiles on any Neighbor Island flight
Zone 2 Priority Boarding on flights
|Pualani Gold||Fly 30 Segments or 20,000 miles||50%||Premier Club benefits|
One complimentary fare-hold reservation (book now and pay later without fees)
Discounted first class upgrades on day of departure
No-fee same-day standby for flights between the Hawaiian Islands
Complimentary upgrades to “Extra Comfort” seats
Zone 2 Priority Boarding on flights (2 guests allowed)
|Pualani Platinum||Fly 60 segments or 40,000 miles||100%||Pualani Gold benefits|
3 free checked bags
Zone 1 Priority Boarding on flights (2 guests allowed)
Complimentary first class/business class upgrade certificates
Members must satisfy a given status level’s qualifying requirements between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31 to reach or maintain that status level and enjoy its benefits. Once you earn any HawaiianMiles status level, you will keep it for the rest of the current calendar year and all of the next calendar year.
Other Key Features
- Miles never expire
- You can transfer miles between accounts, for a fee of $25 + $0.01 per mile.
- Buying miles costs more than they’re worth, as Hawaiian Airlines miles are sold at a 142% markup, on average.
Where Can HawaiianMiles Take You?
Category Rating: 2/25
Hawaiian Airlines flies to 23 U.S. destinations and 10 international destinations. In addition, Hawaiian Airlines has 6 partner airlines, which collectively visit 99 U.S. destinations and 338 international destinations.
You can’t directly transfer miles from the loyalty programs of these partners to HawaiianMiles or vice versa. For example, you can’t turn Hawaiian Airlines miles into JetBlue points. However, you can earn Hawaiian Airlines miles on flights with 6 of the partners and redeem HawaiianMiles for flights with 5 of them.
Summary: HawaiianMiles Scores by Review Category
Hawaiian Airlines Credit Cards
This content is not provided or commissioned by any issuer. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of an issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by an issuer. Some offers are from WalletHub partners.
Applying for a Hawaiian Airlines credit card is worth considering if you have good credit or better and take flights with Hawaiian Airlines multiple times per year. There are two Hawaiian Airlines credit cards, one for consumers and one for businesses, and you can see how they compare below.
Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card Offers Compared
|Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card||Annual Fee||Initial Bonus|
|Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card||$99||60,000 miles|
|Hawaiian Airlines® Business Credit Card||$99||110,000 miles|
8 Tips for HawaiianMiles Members
- The best way to redeem Hawaiian Airlines miles is for Hawaiian Airlines flights. Miles are worth 1.24 cents apiece that way.
- Pool or transfer miles if it makes sense. HawaiianMiles allows members to pool their miles together for easier redemption, but there is a fee of $25 + $0.01 per mile.
- Avoid buying Hawaiian Airlines miles, if possible. Hawaiian Airlines miles cost more to purchase than they are worth when redeemed, on average. However, it could be worth buying a small number if it puts you over the top for a free flight.
- Take advantage of status perks. One of the biggest reasons that airline rewards programs are worth joining is that their status levels tend to provide a wealth of benefits, such as bonus miles, free checked bags and priority boarding. Make sure you take advantage of everything that Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles offers.
- Consider applying for a Hawaiian Airlines credit card. The best Hawaiian Airlines credit card could save the average person roughly $1,500 over the first two years of use, according to WalletHub’s calculations.
- Try the Island Approach with your credit cards. Hawaiian Airlines credit cards offer competitive rewards on Hawaiian Airlines flights, but different credit cards may provide better terms on other types of transactions. Using a collection of cards for specialized purposes can enable you to get the best deal on everything you buy.
- Make sure to read Hawaiian Airlines reviews & HawaiianMiles FAQs. Learning from experts and fellow travelers will help you pick up some helpful tips as well as avoid tricks and pitfalls.
- Compare your flight options if you’re not wedded to HawaiianMiles. Hawaiian Airlines is not the only airline with a rewarding loyalty program. You can see how HawaiianMiles compares to a couple of popular alternatives below. You can also check out WalletHub’s rankings of the Best Frequent Flyer Programs to learn more.
HawaiianMiles vs. Alaska Mileage Plan vs. Delta SkyMiles
|Category||HawaiianMiles||Alaska Mileage Plan||Delta SkyMiles|
|Average Mile Value||1.24 cents||1 cent||1.37 cents|
|Average Daily U.S. Departures||106||383||1,569|
|Mile expiration||Miles do not expire||After 24 months of inactivity||Never|
|Credit Card to Consider||Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card||Alaska Airlines Credit Card||Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card|
HawaiianMiles Review Methodology
Overall program rankings are based on the same methodology as WalletHub’s annual study on the Best Frequent Flyer Programs. Editor’s ratings reflect the sum of each rewards program’s scores across the study’s 6 major categories – airline coverage, partner coverage, rewards value, earning policies, redemption policies and additional features & policies – adjusted to a 5-point scale, to create a representative distribution of ratings.
WalletHub calculated Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles mile values by comparing flight rates between U.S. cities and popular travel destinations – both domestic and international – to the number of miles needed to book a flight. We applied the process to round-trip flights from Friday to Monday for each destination’s high and shoulder tourist seasons.