- Relatively valuable points when used to book free nights
- Gold – Diamond members receive bonus points on bookings
- Large portfolio of popular hotel brands
- Solid co-branded credit cards
- No expiration on rollover nights
- Points expire after 18 months of account inactivity
- Points cost more to purchase than they are worth when redeemed
Wyndham Rewards Review Summary
Wyndham Rewards is the 3rd best hotel rewards program, according to WalletHub research. Some of the Wyndham Rewards program’s best features include points worth an average of 1.07 cents apiece, lots of redemption options and lots of transfer partners.
Wyndham Rewards Scorecard
#3 for Earning Policies
#1 for Rewards Value
#6 for Redemption Policies
#3 for Geographical Coverage
#9 for Other Features
|Points Needed for a Free Night:||Min: 7,500 |
|Average Point Value:||1 point = 1.07 cents |
1,000 points = $10.7
|Transfer Partners:||13, including: |
AAmerican Airlines, Frontier Airlines, United Airlines and more
How to Earn Wyndham Points
Category Rating: 5/15
Wyndham Rewards members earn points on purchases made through the chain and its partners. Below is a detailed description of which types of transactions accrue points and how many points you will receive.
- 10 Wyndham Rewards Points per $1 Spent: Stays at Wyndham properties
- 1 Wyndham Rewards Point per $1 Spent: Holding qualifying events at Wyndham properties
- 0.5-19 Wyndham Rewards Points per $1 Spent: Online shopping with merchants like Macy’s, Home Depot, Grubhub and more
- 1-6 Wyndham Rewards Points per $1 Spent: Purchases on Wyndham credit cards
- 2,500 Wyndham Rewards Points: Buying your first Home Chef box (500 points for each additional box)
- Up to 500 Wyndham Rewards Points: Car rentals through Avis and Budget
In addition, you may be able to find special deals on the websites of Wyndham and its subsidiaries, which could let you spend fewer points when booking a reward night or earn more points when booking normally. The availability of deals depends on when you look, so it’s good to keep an eye out.
How Much Are Wyndham Points Worth?
Category Rating: 25/25
Wyndham Rewards points are worth 1.07 cents each on average, according to WalletHub’s research. The average Wyndham Rewards point value is almost the same for both weekday and weekend reservations.
Category Rating: 20/25
|Redemption Method||More Info|
|Free Nights||Get stays at Wyndham properties|
Tours and Activities
|Book tours and other experiences around the world|
|Transfer points to travel partners like American Airlines, Frontier Airlines, United Airlines and more|
|Trade points for gift cards from merchants like Amazon, Best Buy, Starbucks and more|
|Get fuel discounts at participating locations|
|Purchase items ranging from electronics to handbags|
|Give points to organizations like Save the Children and Hotels for Heroes|
Other Features of the Wyndham Rewards Program
Category Rating: 8/20
The Wyndham Rewards program is free to join, and most people will join as a basic member, or “Blue Member.” Wyndham Rewards Blue level benefits include free Wi-Fi and special rates on reservations.
The more nights you spend at Wyndham hotels and resorts, and the more money you spend with a Wyndham credit card, the higher your membership level will go. Higher levels receive more perks at Wyndham properties. In addition, if you don’t stay enough nights to earn a higher status in a year, you can roll those nights over to the next year (they never expire).
Below, you can see how many nights you need to stay to achieve and maintain each Wyndham Rewards status level, along with the perks that come with it.
|Wyndham Rewards Levels||Nights Needed per Year||Points Bonus||Other Notable Perks|
|Blue||None||None||Free Wi-Fi |
Special rates for members on reservations
Rollover nights never expire
|Gold||3||10%||Blue benefits |
Dedicated member customer services
|Platinum||9||15%||Gold benefits |
Matched status at Caesars Entertainment casino destinations
Free Avis and Budget car rental upgrades
|Diamond||24||20%||Platinum benefits |
Upgrade to a suite every time you stay
Complimentary snack or beverage at check-in at select hotels
Gift one GOLD level membership to a family member or friend for free each calendar year
Members must satisfy a given status level’s qualifying requirements between Jan 1. and Dec. 31 to reach or maintain that status level and enjoy the corresponding benefits. Members retain their status for the remainder of the current calendar year plus the next calendar year.
Where Can Wyndham Rewards Points Take You?
Category Rating: 11/15
Wyndham Rewards has an impressive reach, with more than 820,000 rooms across 9,000+ properties in around 90 countries and territories. The Wyndham Rewards portfolio also features nearly 40 different hotel brands, including La Quinta, Ramada, Days Inn, Super 8 and Caesars – just to name a handful. Travelers are able to pick a brand that works for their budget.
Summary: Wyndham Rewards Scores by Review Category
Wyndham Rewards Credit Cards
Opinions and ratings are our own. This content is not provided, commissioned or endorsed by any issuer. Some offers are from WalletHub partners.
You may want to consider applying for a Wyndham credit card if you have at least good credit and you stay at Wyndham hotels several times per year. There are a few Wyndham credit cards to pick from, and you can learn more about each of them below.
Wyndham Credit Card Offers Compared
|Wyndham Credit Card||Annual Fee||Initial Bonus|
|Wyndham Credit Card||$75||60,000 points|
|Wyndham Credit Card with No Annual Fee||$0||45,000 points|
|Wyndham Business Credit Card||$95||up to 75,000 points|
7 Tips for Wyndham Rewards Members
- The best way to redeem Wyndham Rewards points is for Wyndham stays. Points are worth 1.07 cents apiece that way.
- Avoid buying Wyndham Rewards points, if possible. Wyndham Rewards points cost more to purchase than they are worth when redeemed, on average. However, it could be worth buying a small number if it puts you over the top for a free night.
- Take advantage of status perks. The assorted small perks with which members are rewarded for their financial loyalty can be a big selling point for hotel rewards programs, but they are often forgotten by users as time goes by.
- Consider applying for a Wyndham credit card. The best Wyndham credit card could save the average person roughly $1,500 over the first two years of use, according to WalletHub’s calculations.
- Try the Island Approach with your credit cards. Wyndham credit cards offer competitive earnings on hotel reservations (within the Wyndham family). On pretty much everything else, you’ll actually get a lower value. That’s why you should put an everyday rewards card into your wallet as well. Doing so rounds out your rewards arsenal, making it so you get your money’s worth on every transaction.
- Make sure to read Wyndham reviews & Wyndham Rewards FAQs. Learning from experts and fellow travelers will help you pick up some helpful tips as well as avoid tricks and pitfalls.
- Compare your hotel options if you’re not wedded to Wyndham. Wyndham is not the only worldwide hotel chain with a rewarding loyalty program. You can see how Wyndham Rewards compares to a couple of popular alternatives below. You can also check out WalletHub’s rankings of the Best Hotel Rewards Programs to learn more.
Wyndham Rewards vs. Choice Privileges vs. Hilton Honors
|Category||Wyndham Rewards||Choice Privileges||Hilton Honors|
|Average Point Value||1.07 cents||0.94 cents||0.58 cents|
|Countries/Territories with a Property||90||41||118|
|Point Expiration||After 18 months of inactivity||After 18 months of inactivity||After 15 months of inactivity|
|Credit Card to Consider||Wyndham Credit Card with No Annual Fee||Choice Credit Card||Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card|
Wyndham Rewards Review Methodology
Overall program rankings are based on the same methodology as WalletHub’s annual study on the Best Hotel Rewards Programs. Editor’s ratings reflect the sum of each rewards program’s scores across the study’s 5 major categories – earning policies, redemption policies, rewards value, geographical coverage and other features – adjusted to a 5-point scale and to create a representative distribution of ratings.
WalletHub calculated Wyndham Rewards point values by comparing room rates in 10 popular travel destinations – 5 domestic and 5 international – to the number of points needed to book a rewards night. We did this for all Wyndham-owned hotel locations within 15 miles of the city center in each destination, applying the process to weekend and weekday dates in each destination’s high and shoulder tourist seasons.