World Mastercard Benefits & Top Offers
This content is not provided or commissioned by any issuer. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of an issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by an issuer.
World Mastercard is the middle tier for Mastercard perks. World Mastercard benefits are better than what you’d get from a regular Mastercard but not as good as World Elite Mastercard perks. All such benefits are provided directly by the Mastercard network rather than by the banks and credit unions that issue the cards. However, issuers can choose whether or not to include a particular benefit in each credit card offer, so some World Mastercards may be better than others.
There are several different categories of World Mastercard benefits. Some focus on making your travel as safe and stress-free as possible. You’ll get travel insurance, special privileges at certain hotels, 24/7 assistance and more. The second big benefit category has to do with purchases. Mastercard will give you insurance for things you buy with your card and extend their warranties. Lastly, there are benefits that deal with special experiences. For example, you can get VIP access to exclusive events.
Top 5 World Mastercard Benefits:
- Travel insurance
- Purchase assurance
- Price protection
- Extended warranty
- Luxury Hotel & Resorts Portfolio
You need at least good credit to get a World Mastercard credit card. And it’s no wonder, considering how many good offers there are to choose from. For example, two of the best options are the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card and the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®, thanks to perks like free travel, companion tickets and checked bags.
Below, you’ll find an explanation of all the World Mastercard benefits, along with top card picks from WalletHub’s editors. Hopefully, this will help you find the right card for your needs and get as much out of it as possible.
World Mastercard Benefits for Travel
The Mastercard website advertises World Mastercards as being ideal for international travel. That’s certainly true. Mastercard is accepted at pretty much every retailer that takes credit cards worldwide. And a World Mastercard enhances that experience with travel insurance and other benefits.
- Travel accident insurance: Mastercard will pay up to $200,000 compensation if you, your domestic partner or your dependent children are killed or seriously injured by a travel provider. You must have paid for the trip using your World Mastercard.
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance: You can get up to $1,500 per trip that’s cancelled or stopped early. But the reason has to be the sickness, death or injury of you or an immediate family member. Or the travel company must have gone out of business. Things like pre-existing conditions and professional sports injuries aren’t covered.
- Trip delay insurance: When your trip is late by 3 hours or more, you can get up to $500 per ticket that you charged to your card.
- Baggage delay insurance: If your bags arrive late, you may be forced to buy things like extra clothes or toiletries. If that happens, you can get up to $100 per day, for up to 3 days. Some items not eligible are hearing aids, glasses and traveler’s checks.
- Baggage loss insurance: If your bags never arrive altogether, Mastercard will pay out up to $3,000 per trip to replace them and the things that were inside. Some things won’t be replaced, like glasses and retainers.
- MasterRental Insurance: This is Mastercard’s version of the auto collision damage waiver. It protects you from physical damage to and theft of cars you rent with your card. The rental period must be 31 days or fewer and the car’s MSRP must be $50,000 or less. You also need to decline the rental agency’s insurance.You won’t be covered for certain vehicles like antique cars, trucks and vans. And there’s no coverage for personal injury, intoxicated driving or a few other situations.
- 1-800-MASTERCARD: Calling this number gives you access to several different travel services. You can request roadside assistance, and Mastercard will send someone to tow, jump or fuel your vehicle. You’ll have to pay a pre-negotiated fee for the service. You can also get free travel information as well as help finding lost baggage, referrals to legal counsel in a foreign country, connections with doctors abroad and more. Lastly, you can get replacement cards and cash advances sent to you worldwide.
- Mastercard Lowest Hotel Rate Guarantee: If you pay for a hotel stay and find the exact same accommodations for a lower price somewhere else, Mastercard will refund the difference. You must submit your claim at least 72 hours before your check-in time to get a refund.
- Mastercard Luxury Hotel & Resorts Portfolio: More than 2,000 hotels worldwide participate. When you stay at one, you get free room upgrades when available, early check-in and late check-out, free breakfast for two, and a free amenity unique to the location.
- Mastercard Airport Concierge: 15% discount when you arrange for someone to help guide you through an airport, so you don’t miss your next flight, or fast-track you through security.
- Onefinestay: 10,000+ high-end rentals worldwide. World Mastercard customers get 10% off bookings, in addition to free Wi-Fi, toiletries and an iPhone to use during the stay.
World Mastercard Benefits for Purchases
Though most World Mastercard benefits are travel related, there are still several perks for everyday purchases. In particular, there are various situations in which you can get reimbursed.
- Purchase assurance: If something you buy with your card gets damaged, lost or stolen within 90 days, you can get reimbursed. You’re eligible for $1,000 per item and $50,000 per year. Several types of items are excluded, like plants, animals and computer software. This benefit is also known as “purchase protection.”
- Price protection: If you buy something and find that same item advertised at a lower price within 120 days, Mastercard may pay you the difference. You must be able to provide proof. Some ineligible items include used goods, things bought from auctions, motorized vehicles and plants.
- Extended warranty: Mastercard will double the warranty of items you buy with your card, as long as the original warranty is 24 months or fewer. They’ll pay out up to $10,000 for this benefit. This doesn’t apply to some situations (like extreme weather) or some items like (CDs and DVDs).
Additional World Mastercard Benefits
Some World Mastercard benefits don’t have to do with travel or protecting your purchases. But they’re still valuable offers that you should take advantage of to get as much value as possible out of your card.
- Concierge: When you call the concierge, you can ask for help with almost anything. For example, if you’ll be away when tickets for an event go on sale, the concierge can order them for you. Or, they can give you a restaurant recommendation and book you a reservation.
- The Dining Program: World Mastercard members who dine at certain restaurants can get extra perks like meal discounts, free desert, free alcoholic beverages or a chance to meet the chef.
- Priceless Cities: You can get exclusive access to special events like VIP tickets to shows, private tours, meals prepared by famous chefs, and celebrity meet-and-greets. This is what other card companies might call “experiences.”
- ShopRunner Membership: World Mastercard members get free two-day shipping and free return shipping. ShopRunner is an online retailer that sells products from major brands like Saks Fifth Avenue, Brooks Brothers, Tory Burch, Staples and 1-800-Flowers.com.
- Fuel Rewards Network: You’ll get exclusive discounts on Shell gas when you use your card.
Best World Mastercard Credit Cards
|Best For…||World Mastercard||Annual Fee||Min. Credit Needed|
|Airline Miles||Lufthansa Credit Card||$89||Good|
|Points rewards||Citi ThankYou® Premier Card||None 1st yr, $95 after*||Excellent|
|No Annual Fee||Frontier Airlines Credit Card with No Annual Fee||None||Good|
|Free Checked Bags||American Airlines AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver Credit Card||$195||Good|
|Business||CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®||None 1st yr, $99 after*||Good|
|Business 0% APR||Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card||None||Excellent|
|Annual Bonus Miles||Spirit Airlines Credit Card||None 1st yr, $59 after||Good|
Was this article helpful?