Compare Commerce Bank Checking Accounts
Please find below checking accounts offered by Commerce Bank.
Commerce Bank Small Business Options Checking
- Designed for established small businesses with moderate to high transaction volume and borrowing needs.
- Up to 300 free transactions a month; additional transactions are $0.50 each.
- With more than 350 ATM locations, you’ll always have a fast, safe, and convenient way to bank even when you’re on the go.
Commerce Bank CommerceInterest Checking
- Earns interest.
- Optional overdraft protection available.
- Commerce Bank’s Automated Teller Machine (ATM) Network provides convenient access to your funds at more than 350 ATMs in Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Oklahoma and Colorado, as well as ATM locations worldwide displaying the network logos on the back of your card.
Commerce Bank Commerce Free Checking
- Get a $50 Visa® Reward Card for every friend and family member you refer to open and use a new Commerce personal checking account, up to $500.
- Commerce Bank’s Automated Teller Machine (ATM) Network provides immediate access to your funds at more than 350 ATMs in Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Oklahoma and Colorado, as well as ATM locations worldwide displaying the network logos on the back of your card.
Commerce Bank Checking Accounts Reviews
What's Your Rating?
For me, their customer service has always been very responsive and helpful, even when dealing with multiple fraud issues. Free checking is nice. In-person assistance has always been top notch.
- Originally had the CC as overdraft protection. One month (during the pandemic), I was 30 days late paying the account. They immediately, and without any warning or notice whatsoever, closed that CC account on Day 31, and reported it to the credit bureaus.
- Thinking I no longer had overdraft protection, I assumed any overdrafts from then on would be flat out denied. Nope. Commerce let every charge come thru, despite a negative checking account balance, and continued to charge $37 a pop in overdraft fees and insufficient funds fees. After hundreds in overdraft fees, again without any warning or notice, they closed my checking account entirely.
- The way online banking works is ridiculous. They seem to process transactions in an absolutely arbitrary manner. Your current or your available balance can never be trusted. Pending transactions seem to count some days, but not others. Charges will disappear. You'll be charged overdrafts despite your balance never appearing below zero on your end. You'll have different balances even when there are no pending charges. It makes checking your online banking pretty worthless when it comes to knowing what you have in your account.
After banking with Commerce for 25 years, I had a very unpleasant experience with their customer service department. My mother-in-law had just died and we received a check that had to go through Probate Court. After filing the required court documents, I went to Commerce to deposit the check. The clerk was not familiar with the process so she called over the bank supervisor. Without any explanation, the bank supervisor said Commerce would not deposit the check into my account. I asked for an explanation noting that I was a loyal Commerce customer for 25 years and that I had the required legal documents from the Probate Court. The supervisor said very tersely, Commerce will not deposit the check. Again, I asked for an explanation. The supervisor became irritated at my request. I said there must be a reason and again asked for an explanation. At this point the supervisor got very flustered and mumbled a slur under her breath which my wife and I overheard. I was quite shocked and got verbally angry explaining that I deserved some kind of explanation. It was clear that the supervisor was not properly trained in customer service. Rather than diffusing the situation she threatened to call the police if I did not leave the premises. I was shocked. All she had to do was tell me nicely that she would look into the situation and get back to me. I called her bluff and told her to call the police. Fortunately, my wife grabbed me by my shoulder and said "let's get away from this crazy lady." A few days later I received a threatening letter from Commerce saying they were closing my account and that I was no longer welcome at Commerce Bank. There is a silver lining to everything in life. My wife and I went across the street to First Bank (owned locally by the Dierberg family) where I was welcomed with smiles and open arms. The customer service rep informed me they had a no-fee checking account that paid 5% interest. I opened up an account and First Bank deposited my check on the spot. So as the saying goes, all's well that ends well. I have washed my hands of Commerce Bank and I have no regrets. First Bank understands customers' needs and they have made me a very happy customer.
This is the worst bank ever. They do not even worth a 1 star. Do everything you can to avoid banking with them. There are other banks with better offers. I used them in 2014-2016 and finally opt out of their service in 2016. I came back in 2020 with the hope that they have change and improve their ways after they sent me several mails encouraging to return banking with them. Well, I decided to give them another shot and my experience this time around was the worst ever that I have experienced in my history of banking. I opened the account in November, they wanted me to send two things to them 1. A completed form, 2. a cheque to make initial deposit. This is strange because every other bank I use completes every application online. Well, I went ahead and mailed those documents to them using certified mail. The mail was delivered based on tracking. I did not see any progress in the sense until after 3 weeks when they told me that they received my request and nothing to be done on my side at the moment, the cheque was processed and deposited online and they will hold my account for 7 more days before they will mail my debit card. I waited two weeks, nothing from them. I called their customer care, wasted about 1 hr 30 min waiting online, call being transferred here and there until someone spoke to me and told me that I should go to their nearest commerce bank to request for my debit card. This is like a joke to me. Anyway, I decided to go to the nearest commerce bank to request for my debit card. I had to use the drive-through because of the pandemic. I explained to them and the lady took my driver's license and make me wait 1hr 15 minutes only to come back and tell me that she will not be able to print my debit card because I need to complete another form. What the heck! Anyway, This is just so much stress to open an account, now to get a debit card to use my money. Anyway, I left the bank very angry. Why will they have to make me wait so long in the drive-through just to come back to tell me that I need to fill a form and provide my passport. I was just so tired and I want to close the account and get my money back. Guess what? I called the customer care and they say that I have to bring my account down to zero. But how can I do that when you did not even provide me a debit card or cheque. I told her that this was the reason why I want to close the account because they do not provide me a debit card and they will have to close the account and mail me a cheque with my balance in the mail. She said if they will have to do that, that they will charge me $8.00. Really? This is the worst bank EVER!!!!!! STAY AWAY PEOPLE and find better banks that will treat you well for your money.
Commerce Bank Checking Accounts Q&A
Get answers to your questions about Commerce Bank Checking Accounts below. For more general questions, visit our Answers section.
- Most Popular
- Most Upvotes
How long before an overdraft account is closed
Can I open another account if I had an account with a negative balance more than once?
We work hard to show you up-to-date product terms, however, this information does not originate from us and thus, we do not guarantee its accuracy. Actual terms may vary. Before submitting an application, always verify all terms and conditions with the offering institution. Please let us know if you notice any differences.
Ad Disclosure: Certain offers that appear on this site originate from paying advertisers, and this will be noted on an offer’s details page using the designation "Sponsored", where applicable. Advertising may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). At WalletHub we try to present a wide array of offers, but our offers do not represent all financial services companies or products.
Editorial and user-generated content on this page is not provided, commissioned, reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any issuer.