Memorial Day is more than just a day off from work or school, an excellent occasion for a backyard barbeque or a chance to travel. Those things do speak to the holiday’s true spirit. But above all else, Memorial Day honors Americans who have died in service to their country. This holiday is not necessarily spent in somber reflection, however.
Many people choose to celebrate Memorial Day by enjoying the many freedoms that American servicemen and women have perished protecting. They include fundamental rights such as freedom of speech, trial by jury, and protection against cruel and unusual punishment. But the list also covers relative trivialities such as the ability to save up to 70% with Memorial Day weekend sales or to attend parades. And yes, 59% of us do indeed plan to barbeque over Memorial Day weekend, while 15% take a trip. Memorial Day’s place on the calendar has made it the unofficial start of summer for many.
To help you get to know this popular holiday even better, we analyzed it from top to bottom in search of the most revealing Memorial Day facts and stats. You can check out our findings in the infographic below. We also hosted a Q&A with several travel-industry experts, who shared some great summer saving tips. Enjoy!
5 Interesting Facts About Memorial Day:
- 91 – Number of members of the 117th Congress who have served in the U.S. military, the lowest total since at least World War II.
- 4 Million – Number of veterans fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- 3 Million – People are expected to travel by plane over Memorial Day weekend (up 25% over 2021).
- 818 – Number of hot dogs consumed every second from Memorial Day to Labor Day (seven billion total).
- 20 to 70 Percent Off – Discount shoppers can expect during Memorial Day weekend sales.
For advice on how to navigate Memorial Day weekend sales, we posed the following questions to a group of personal finance and retail experts. You can check out their bios and responses below.
- What is the best way to honor the memory of our fallen countrymen this Memorial Day?
- Do you believe Memorial Day has become too commercialized?
- What types of bargains should shoppers be looking out for this Memorial Day?
- What money saving tips do you have for people planning to travel on Memorial Day?