To help you get psyched for Hollywood’s biggest night, WalletHub did our homework on everything from box office sales and Rotten Tomatoes ratings for the Best Picture nominees to the price of awards-season lobbying. You can find all of these awesome Oscars fun facts in the infographic below. That’s followed by a Q&A on the state of the film industry with a panel of entertainment experts. Enjoy the show!
Finally, we’ll leave you with a little story inspired by the events of recent years and the 2020 Best Picture nominees.
Once upon a time in Hollywood, maybe even as far back as 1917, a series of jokers played parasite on a lot more than a little number of women, leaving a flood of professional and personal distress in their wake, even souring some marriage stories along the way. But suits by Tom Ford and Ferrari keys jingling have been replaced by handcuffs and orange jumpsuits for at least some of those old Oscars, Dicks and Harrys. Whether you’re an Irishman or any other ethnicity, the old way of abusing power in the movie business is hopefully gone for good. So hit the KC and JoJo because ideas are like rabbits, and it’s time for the new ways of doing things to reproduce.
Top 5 Oscars Facts for 2020:
- $44M: Total cost of Oscars ceremony.
- $10M: Cost of the look for an A-list actress attending the Oscars.
- $2.6M+: Cost of a 30-second commercial during the Oscars telecast (54% less than the Super Bowl).
- $24.7K: Cost of the 16,500-square-foot Oscars red carpet.
- 3rd time: The Oscar telecast will not have a host.
For a closer look at a variety of issues related to the Academy Awards, from demographics to dollars and cents, we posed the following questions to a panel of leading business and entertainment experts. You can check out their bios and responses below.
- What would the lack of diversity on the main categories have on the awards? Will they be considered less relevant for the general public as time goes by?
- Do you believe the current system of nominating films is a fair and transparent one? How can this process be improved?
- Who is going to win the award for Best Actor? Actress? Director? Motion Picture?