Yes, American Collectors offers classic car insurance. Classic car insurance from American Collectors is a specialty type of coverage designed for vehicles like classics and antiques, typically at least 20 years old, that are not used for daily driving or commuting.
Because classic cars are on the road less than normal vehicles, classic car insurance is cheaper than typical policies, costing an average of $400 to $1,000 per year depending on the vehicle. American Collectors states their policies may be up to 40% cheaper than standard car insurance.
American Collectors Classic Car Insurance Eligibility Requirements
- American Collectors does not have a specific vehicle age requirement, and they may consider any vehicle that has collector merit and is appreciating in value.
- All insured vehicles must be stored in a secure, fully enclosed, locked structure, such as a private garage or carport. Some limited access parking garages that have 24-hour security (like video surveillance, alarm system, or on-site security guards) may be eligible.
- Insured vehicles are allowed to be used for hobby purposes such as car shows, club activities, exhibits, parades, or tours. Additionally, vehicles may be taken on occasional pleasure drives, and can be used infrequently for any other type of general usage.
- Drivers cannot have had a serious infraction in the past three years. Ineligible infractions include DUIs, reckless driving charges, and excessive speeding. However, drivers can have had one minor accident or moving violation in the past 3 years, and the entire household can have a maximum of 2 accidents or moving violations in the past 3 years in total.
- All members of the household of driving age must have a valid driver's license with at least 5 years of licensed driving experience and a good driving history.
Types of Vehicles Eligible for American Collectors Classic Car Insurance
- Sports cars of any age
- Muscle cars
- Street rods, hot rods, or rat rods
- Antique or vintage cars
- Modern classics
- Collector trucks and SUVs
- Kit cars and replicas
Vehicles that are used for regular commuting, commercial purposes, off-roading, or racing are generally not eligible for car insurance from American Collectors due to how they are used or because they have an increased risk associated with them.
To learn more, check out WalletHub's guide to classic car insurance and see American Collectors's profile for more details.