- Some cards offer a lot of bonus rewards
- Cash back won't expire while your account is open and in good standing
- Cash rewards can't be devalued
- Redemption is simple and straightforward
- Can only redeem cash back for a statement credit
- No transfer partners
- Some cards have caps on the amount of bonus rewards you can earn
American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars Review Summary
American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars is the 16th best credit card rewards program, according to WalletHub's latest comparison, receiving 81 points out of a possible 100. The Blue Cash Reward Dollars program features several popular cash back credit cards, including the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express and the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express.
American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars is one of two rewards programs offered by Amex, the other being Membership Rewards. The cards that participate in Blue Cash Reward Dollars offer cash back, rather than points.
American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars Review Scorecard
#21 for Earning Policies
#9 for Redemption Policies
#1 for Rewards Value per $1 Spent
#14 for Eligibility & Transparency
Best American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars Credit Cards
- No Annual Fee: Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
- Cash Bonus: Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Flat Cash Back: American Express Cash Magnet® Card
Offers information was collected on Jan. 10, 2022, and is likely to have changed since. All information about the American Express Cash Magnet® Card has been collected independently by WalletHub. The American Express Cash Magnet® Card is no longer available to new applicants through WalletHub, but is available on the American Express website.
Summary: American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars Scores by Review Category
|Rewards Value per $1 Spent||30/30|
|Eligibility & Transparency||15/20|
How to Earn American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars
Category Rating: 76% (23/30)
You will earn at least 1% cash back for every dollar you spend with an eligible Amex rewards credit card. Choosing the right credit card and using it strategically can enable you to earn even more cash back, and there’s no limit on the amount of cash back you can earn.
There is one major restriction that you should be aware of, though.
Earning Restrictions to Watch Out For:
- Cap on Bonus Rewards: Supermarket purchases only receive bonus cash back up to a certain amount spent each year. After that, you still earn cash back on supermarket purchases, but only 1%.
How to Redeem American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars
Category Rating: 65% (13/20)
American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars can only be redeemed for a statement credit. The way it works is simple: 1 Reward Dollar is equal to a $1 statement credit.
- Up to 6% Back: With the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, you can earn up to 6% cash back on U.S. supermarket spending, up to $6,000 spent per year.
- Different Cards for Different Needs: Amex makes it easy for cardholders to choose a cash back card that fits their spending preferences. For example, they can get one with higher rewards and an annual fee, or lower rewards and no fee.
Redemption Restrictions to Watch Out For:
- Can Only Redeem for a Statement Credit: The only redemption option is a statement credit to cover the cost of past purchases. The credit will usually appear in your account within three days after you redeem.
- No Transfer Partners: Amex Blue Cash Reward Dollars does not have transfer partners. Most other cash back programs are the same way.
American Express Blue Cash Rewards Dollars Value per $1 Spent
Category Rating: 100% (30/30)
The American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars program offers 1% to 6% cash back on purchases, depending on the card and type of purchase. That means you get anywhere from 1 to 6 cents per $1 spent.
American Express Blue Cash Rewards Dollars Eligibility & Transparency
Category Rating: 75% (15/20)
American Express has multiple rewards programs, and only a few cards participate in Blue Cash Reward Dollars.
American Express Blue Cash Rewards Dollars Cards
• Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
• Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
• American Express Cash Magnet® Card
Discontinued Blue Cash Reward Dollars Cards
American Express has discontinued one of its Blue Cash Reward Dollars credit card offers over the years. While some people may still have this card, it’s not available to new applicants and was not factored into scoring.
- Blue Cash® Card from American Express
American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars Credit Card Comparison
|American Express Credit Card||Annual Fee||Initial Bonus Offer
|Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express||$0||$200||1 - 3% Cash Back|
|Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express||$0 intro 1st yr, $95 after||$250||1 - 6% Cash Back|
|American Express Cash Magnet® Card||$0||$200||1.5% Cash Back|
5 Tips for Getting the Most Out of American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars
- Pick the Right Card & Use it Wisely
Some American Express cards offer bonus cash back if you spend a certain amount within a few months of account opening. Others reward you more for purchases in certain spending categories. And a few combine the two. Your job is to find a card that complements your particular needs.
- Redeem regularly
The whole point of earning credit card rewards is to enjoy the savings they provide. If you just leave your American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars sitting in your account unused, they won’t do you much good.
- Pay your bill on time every month
Your American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars won’t expire as long as your account remains open and in good standing. In other words, you have nothing to worry about if you pay your monthly bills on time.
- Pay your bill in full every month
Paying interest at a credit card’s regular APR will end up costing you more than rewards save you. Paying in full monthly allows you to avoid interest charges.
- Redeem before closing your account
You will lose any American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars left unredeemed when you close your account.
American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars vs. American Express Membership Rewards vs. Chase Ultimate Rewards
|Category||American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars||American Express Membership Rewards||Chase Ultimate Rewards|
|Average Rewards Value
||1 Reward Dollar = $1||0.67 cents||1.07 cents|
|Redemption Options Rank||9||12||2|
|Notable Rewards Card||Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express||Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card||Chase Freedom Unlimited®|
|Notable Travel Rewards Card||None||The Platinum Card® from American Express||Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card|
American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars Review Methodology
This review of American Express Blue Cash Reward Dollars is based on the same methodology as WalletHub’s annual study on the Best Credit Card Rewards Programs. Editor’s ratings reflect the sum of each program’s scores across the study’s five major categories, adjusted to a 5-point scale to create a representative distribution of ratings. The four major categories considered were: Earning Policies, Redemption Policies, Rewards Value per $1 Spent and Eligibility & Transparency.
WalletHub calculated American Express Membership Rewards point values by comparing the dollar value of redemption items against the number of points needed for each.