Nationwide offers 11 discounts across three main categories: loyalty-based, driver-based, and payment-based. Almost anyone can get Nationwide’s payment-based discounts for setting up automatic payment withdrawals or going paperless. Certain types of people, like good students and safe drivers, can qualify for a variety of driver-based discounts. And customers who insure more than one car or multiple types of insurance are also eligible for Nationwide’s loyalty-based discounts. You can learn more about Nationwide discounts below.
List of Nationwide Discounts
- Multi-Policy Discount: Get a discount for buying multiple types of insurance from Nationwide. For instance, drivers who bundled home and auto coverage saved an average of $646 per year in 2020. Customers can also get a multi-car discount if they insure more than one vehicle with Nationwide.
- SmartRide Discount: Save 10% just for signing up for Nationwide’s usage-based insurance program. The safer you drive, the better your discount will be—up to 40%.
- SmartMiles Discount: Low-mileage drivers can get the same Nationwide coverage for less with flexible monthly payments based on how many miles you drive. You’ll pay a base rate plus a per-mile rate, so the amount you save and your total premium will vary month to month.
- Accident-Free Discount: If you have at least five years of driving experience and have been free from accidents and major violations for the last five years, you could save up to 10%.
- Good Student Discount: Drivers between the ages of 16 and 24 can save on car insurance if they maintain a B average or better in school.
- Defensive Driving Discount: Older drivers can get a discount of about 5% upon completing a state-certified defensive driving course with a passing grade. In most states, you must be 55 years or older and have no at-fault accidents in the past 35 months to be eligible for this discount.
- Anti-Theft Discount: Nationwide offers discounts for certain factory-installed and after-market theft deterrents. Savings vary based on the type of device and your location, and you might have to provide proof of installation.
- Safe Driver Discount: If you have five years of safe driving, you could be eligible for a lower Nationwide premium. The company isn’t very specific about the requirements for this discount, but it suggests the program is for customers who have been free from accidents and moving violations for the past five years.
- EasyPay Discount: Nationwide customers can get a one-time discount when they set up automatic deductions from a bank account.
- Paperless Discount: You may be able to get a recurring discount if you sign up to receive communication about your car insurance policy via email.
- Affinity Member Discount: Nationwide partners with hundreds of alumni associations, special interest groups, professional organizations, and more. Get a discount just for being affiliated with one of these partners.
Nationwide also offers other savings opportunities in addition to these discounts. For example, Nationwide offers an optional Vanishing Deductible program, which lowers your deductible by as much as $500 total—$100 for every year you go without a claim. Nationwide also has accident forgiveness, so your premiums won’t necessarily increase just because you file a claim.